SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
building2017

Did you regret a south-side porch? (working on our plans...)

building2017
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Working on house plans with our architect and could use some feedback as a make a decision on a south porch to make sure I'm thinking through it correctly...

We are in Florida so we are building off the ground for peace of mind re: any potential flooding, so the structure will be raised a floor (parking underneath). Our plan has a west side porch for sunset and a north side porch for the view (it's toward the water). However, because the south side is actually the front of the house, the architect is suggesting we extend the porch to wrap around the south side. I completely understand and agree that this will make the house's exterior elevation look better and it would give it more of a clear entry for the front side and a more logical place for entry stairs (we'll also have a lift coming into a screened porch).

However my #1 reason for building my own house and working with an architect instead of stock plans is to get more natural light. I crave it - I love the look of sun beams coming into the house. That said, I know the heritage down here to keep homes cool in the South is wrap-around porches... I just love the look of sun rays flowing into a house.

There will be a 12' monitor over head, so that will give some natural light, but I don't know how much. The north porch is 10' deep and west porch 20+ feet deep.

I'm leaning toward trusting our architect over my own notes reading books like "Sun-inspired house" since obviously that book didn't take into account other features of the design, but...

Did anyone who enjoys natural sunlight regret putting a south-side porch on your house? Thanks for any insight and advice.

Comments (12)