SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahram03

What do you do when you have no more pots?

Ariel (Zone: 7b)
6 years ago

Are there any clever solutions you've come up to when you used up all your pots and don't want to buy more?

Comments (16)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Go to any garden center and ask for any empties - at least around here, Garden centers collect empties for recycling... Collect extras ppl throw out...these usually work for plastic, but I have picked occasional terracotta pots too. And ask any friends if they have empties. Check kijiji or CraigsList, ppl sometimes give away containers, even some nice ones. And build a wooden box...Many other things could be used for plants - it all depends on a 'look' you like (personally, I do not like metal cans some ppl use - they rust).

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    6 years ago

Check out your local Chinese restuarants, they sometimes have 5 gal buckets for free.

• Ariel (Zone: 7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I asked Coldstone and was told to come on Sundays for their buckets. What do Chinese restaurant typically get in the buckets?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Many deli stores have those 5gal buckets too. They get food in it (I would think restaurants get food too) - so you can be sure that they are food grade. I got quite a few just for asking. Some smelled like pickles for a while, lol. But any odor disappeared.

• Marcus---NCmountains-7a
    6 years ago

I usually do as Rina does, Burnett's usually give used pots away. Because I have limited space in my sunroom to overwinter, I sometimes sacrifice a plant to the "frost god's". Lol

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    6 years ago

What do Chinese restaurant typically get in the buckets? Not sure of everything they get in them, but soy sauce was one thing. I used to get lot of buckets from my local restaurants, and I know you have plenty of them where you are, which is why I suggested it :-) I like the white 5 gal buckets because they stay cooler in the summer sun/heat.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I was curious because im sure these more authentic places will have some language barrier. I wanted to be more specific with them to avoid some confusion.

Are their 5 gallon buckets the same size as a 5 gallon flower pot?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago

Dollar stores usually have buckets, about 2 gallon, that last about one season in the sun.

• bragu_DSM 5
    6 years ago

bakeries also get tons of stuff by the bucket, and there are some cuter, smaller buckets they get as well ...

• B M
    6 years ago

I called around to Jimmy Johns and Subway's in the area, their pickles some in 6 gallon buckets. Just have to drill holes in the bottom.

• Pete
    6 years ago

Buy drill bits for tile or ceramic and drill holes in miscellany from resale shops, rummage sales or the back of your cupboards.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried a few places in NYC and this is my experience:

Dunkin Donuts and Subway, said they don't get anything in buckets.

Coldstone creamery, said i should come back on a day that they change stock. Waiting to see what size they have and if they actually will give me them.

I walked into a small Chinese Store and they gave me a 5 bucket gallon that had soy sauce in it. They didn't look too happy about it even though the store was empty and they throw them out.

now my question is how long do i soak water in it to get rid of all the salt from the soy sauce...?

• bragu_DSM 5
    6 years ago

Grocery store with a bakery would have some buckets. offer to pay them a dollar a bucket … everyone is happy. overnight soak with a little bleach in the water should solve the soy sauce dilemma … or you could line it with a turkey bag [with holes] and not worry about it … don't over think it

Original Author
    6 years ago

@Bragu - I agree not to over think. I soaked mine for a day. Ive wondered why people try so hard to clean out the leftover frosting thats in the buckets they get. What would happen if you filled it up with soil and left the frosting in?

Original Author
    6 years ago

I got 4 buckets from a local Chinese place. They told me sometimes they put food in the buckets to transport them to another location. One bucket is stained orange, should I worry about using it?

I soaked it with some diluted bleach water. Emptied it and tried wiping it and nothing would wipe off at all onto the napkin.