SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Why won't my valerian Spread More

aloha2009
6 years ago

I read how Valerian can be somewhat invasive but mine seems way too behaved for what I want. Last year I transplanted one to another more desired area. From reading the link, you'd think I'd at least see one straggler seedling left behind but nothing. Last year I even collected the seed from 2 plants that I had and spread the seeds out in the spring...nothing.

I was able to propagate one plant by root divisions (found out today that I should have done it in the fall instead of this spring) but they are plugging along. I have at least 2 other areas that I want about 6+ plants in each. For such an invasive plant, you'd think the nurseries would be selling it cheaper like in a 6 pack. Many nurseries don't even have it.

So what can I do, to get more these plants in my yard growing??? I'm hoping someone can educate me on this.

FYI - regarding the Russian sage being invasive, I noticed, even with relatively new plantings, that I saw new Russian sage coming up. I moved them to another location and put newspaper and fabric down close. It seems to be helping a lot. Funny with my neighbor over watering so much, last year I put buckets around the RS that were getting the over spray just to keep them from drowning. This year one is noticeably smaller then the others, but seems to have weathered the worst of the over watering. I'm hoping by next year it will be large enough to take the water.

Spreading Valerian

Comments (9)