SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelseartist

Please help! Propagating grandpa's roses

Chelsea
6 years ago

My grandpa loved his roses, especially one angry little mess in the back corner of the garden. He always said his great aunts brought it over from Scotland. He passed away last year, and I've spent the last four months we owned the house trying to propagate this pokey disaster, with absolutely no luck. We just sold the house, but I think I have one last chance to get some more clippings, if anyone has any advice (some from my last attempt are still...sort of alive).

I've tried every tip on the internet. Rooting powder, putting them in a potato, plant food, liquid plant food, multiple types of dirt, jars and bags over the top, inside and outside; no luck. I got one to root once, but it died when I tried to move it to a larger container. I have a bit of a black thumb in general, honestly, and only a balcony to work with (north facing).

As far as I can tell from google, it's a rosa spinosissima double white, or something close to it. (There's a lovely pink floribunda too, not as important, but I can't get it to grow either)

Even better than tips (though I definitely won't turn those down), is there anyone who would consider just... taking the clippings and working their magic on them? I live in central Oklahoma City. I'm more than happy to share them, or pay for your time (and I really hope that isn't a rude question, I don't know gardening community etiquette I'm sorry).

It's not the prettiest bush, and it's been neglected for a few years now, so I fear the new owners will just tear it up, and I just hate to lose it forever.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths