SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frith1952

How can I get Hippeastrum to bloom?

frith1952
6 years ago

4 years ago I bought a red and a white hippeastrum/amaryllis from M&S, so as to have blooms at Christmas. After the blooms had died off I kept both bulbs in pots. They are in a reasonably sunny space in my loft.
After 2 years both had produced lots of nice healthy looking leaves, but no flowers. At the end of the 3rd year I took them out of the pots and found that the red one looked fine, whilst the white one had disintegrated, but produced 5 baby bulbs (forgotten the word). I replanted all of them in sandy soil (as advised on the web, soil suitable for cactus plants). The red one has kept producing lovely leaves, usually 4, just under a metre in length. The smaller ones have produced 3 leaves in this, their 2nd year.
However lovingly I look after them, watering when dry, feeding in the summer months, they refuse to flower! Could someone advise what I am doing wrong, please? Also, about some feed I bought recently, Amaryllis Green Professional Fertilizer, the proportion of fertilizer to water is only 1:1000, ie one cap to 5 litres. Can this be right? It seems very, very little when you put 1ml:1L.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions