SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brtd16

Help with my non-grafted 6 year old lemon tree!

sample sample
6 years ago

First and foremost this lemon tree just turned six years old in May 2017. I started this tree from a lemon bought at Walmart. Believe it or not but that is the truth. Unfortunately this lemon tree is not grafted as I did not have another lemon tree nearby to make a graft. I live in Pittsburgh so there are no lemon trees around me for many miles. I recently fed this tree last month with some BGI Fertilizers Citrusgain Bag, Citrus Fertilizer 8-3-9. I'm not new to growing plants but I am un-educated on citrus trees. From the photos I have attached should I remove what I might think is a sucker? And yes I know I have to put some more soil around the base to cover up those exposed roots I am using Miracle Grow citrus soil and I have been using that for the past three or four years. One more thing I have never seen a flower or buds on this tree probably because it is not grafted. Is there any chance that in the next couple years maybe even this summer that I could pick some type of fruit fruit off of the tree. Now I know it might not be a lemon or Meyer lemon but is it possible?? Thank you

Comments (19)