SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

How often to fertilize? and other newbie questions

Lalala (zone 6b)
6 years ago

I am a first-time container gardener (learning with my 10 year old). We planted tomato, romaine lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, pepper, and some herbs a few weeks ago. They are in pots, planted in a planting mix with a bit of Epsoma Garden-Tone added. Everything is looking good--tomatoes flowering, teeny zucchini and peppers starting to develop--with the exception of a bit of sunburn on the cilantro and some mild yellowing on the oldest zucchini leaves. I have a few questions.

-How often should we fertilize, and is the method just scratching in a tablespoon of Garden-Tone? How can you tell when they need feeding? It's been quite rainy lately, so maybe the nutrients are washing away?

-The lettuce isn't full sized (by which I mean, it's about half the size of the romaine you buy at the grocery store--is that even a good reference point?!), but since July is approaching and I know lettuce prefers cool weather, should we just harvest and eat it now?

-We tried to grow a tomato plant last year but seemed to have pollination issues--it flowered repeatedly but never set fruit. We got zero tomatoes. Should I try to hand pollinate? When do I decide if that's necessary?

Thank you!

Comments (16)