SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenpointmary

How Often Should I Fertilize a Meyer Lemon?

greenpointmary
14 years ago

I am wondering how often I should feed my potted lemon tree? I noticed in September that the leaves were a little yellow, so I gave the plant some Holly-Tone organic fertilizer. It seemed to immediately perk up, sent out lots of new growth and loads of buds. Now, my plant is in full bloom with dozens of flowers, still outside due to the warm fall weather, and HAPPY! My question is, how often should I give it this organic fertilizer? It says three times a year on the package (I think), but I have seen four times a year on some sites, to once a month! Which is the correct solution?

Comments (66)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the help Mike. Appreciate it. That was a good article...thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked :o)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of one of my trees taken yesterday fed at every watering all winter in the 5.1.1. mix...

It continues to be green and healthy month after month.:-)

{{gwi:646187}}

• Related Discussions

How often should i fertilize?

Q

Comments (1)
    I feed potted tropicals like begonias, fuschias, cannas, bananas, brugmansia, (plants that bloom and feed heavily)once a week with Miracle Grow. I have two kinds - one for blooms and one all purpose. Haven't killed anything yet, not with fertilizer anyway.
    ...See More

How often should I fertilize hot peppers?

Q

Comments (4)
    I would suggest 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended strength MG 15-30-15 every 2-4 weeks. Wish that I could give you exact figures, but most or many of us that container grow with artificial fertilizers do it by 'ear' or perhaps 'eyeballing' describes it better. You will learn by experience how to read leaf color etc for how often to fertilize. It is in my opinion much better to err on the side of under-fertilizing. Put in a larger pot to start with. Try to disturb the root system as little as possible. I would go to a one gallon container or at least half that.
    ...See More

How often should I fertilize my bonsai and what should I use?

Q

Comments (0)
    > Probably the most important rule about fertilizing is to never feed a tree that is under stress. The causes of stress are many, ranging from over watering or under watering to newly pruned roots or disease. > Once again, it is so very important to know what type of tree your bonsai is. Different types have specific needs as to the type and frequency of fertilization. > Many enthusiasts who have some experience think the safest method, with no fuss, is 4 month type of 14-14-14 time release fertilizer, such as Osmocote. This is incorporated right into the potting mix or sprinkled on the surface and worked down into the mix. > Most broadleaf trees and tropicals can be fed with any general houseplant or garden fertilizer. > Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid. > Some growers include hormones such as Superthrive in their regimen to stimulate root production. > Trees should only be fertilized when in periods of active growth. This is generally from midspring through early summer and from late summer to early fall. > If your summers are extremely hot and your trees are outdoors, do not fertilize until temperatures have moderated and growth has resumed. > Likewise, do not feed trees in winter when they are either dormant or growth has slowed down. > Some growers prefer organic fertilizers over chemicals. This is an ongoing debate and much too lengthy to go into detail here.
    ...See More

How often should I fertilize?

Q

Comments (0)
    Generally, citrus should be fed three times a year, early spring, early summer and late summer. Also, when growing your own citrus trees, it's very important during the first several years that your trees receive plenty of water.
    ...See More
  • citrusnut
    14 years ago

Mike, I've got a satsuma mandarin and a new kishu mandarin. Both seem to be quite easy to grow. The flowers are smaller, very white, fragrant, but not as fragrant as a meyer or navel orange. The satsuma flowers in the Spring, the kishu flowered last summer but I don't know if it will flower more than that. They are probably fast growers, but none of citrus grow fast.

In my house they are kept cool and are kind of dormant during that time. I like to keep my house cool at night and lower the thermastat to 55 when I go to bed. It makes for great sleeping.

Right now I have 10 citrus plants. I lost a persian lime and a limequat last year to root rot when I decided to flush them too early in the Springtime and they never dried out. The persian lime almost made it but didn't. I gave away my dancy tangerine when I found out that it came from seed, just to make room for things that flowered and fruited.

I bought a new persian lime cause that is my favorite lime to eat and it produces fruit every year. One of the local landscape centers actually had it in a 3.6 gallon pot. I also bought a lisbon lemon there that was the same size. These 2 are my largest plants.

The ruby red grapefruit came from Logee's and is tiny. The plant measures 8" without the pot. It is the smallest citrus I ever bought and is in a 2.5" pot. It is a cutting. It is small but it should get good fragrant flowers and this type of grapefruit is supposed to be able to hold its fruit for a long time so it may mature for me. I'm hoping anyway. Also hoping for fast growth.

The satsuma came from McKenzie Farms in the Fall of '07 in a one gallon pot. It flowered and in '08 and produced 5 mandarins that were very delicious. It put out such energy to produce last year, that it rested this year. looking forward to getting fruit again.

None of my plants came from Four Winds, even though I've window shopped there alot and drooled over their stuff, their shipping far exceeds any where else. And I don't care to get things bare root either.

How many trees do you have now? Did most of your's come from Four Winds?

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot for all the information, Mike. It is very informative and helpful as always.

• citrusnut
    14 years ago

That's a fine looking tree, Mike. Has a nice shape to it,too. Looks like you've got an ideal growing situation.
    Those windows are terrific. Boy would I love those.

Your watering regime is similar to that recommended for orchids which is: water with 1/2 strength fertilizer 3 times and the forth time use plain water.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

You will never believe what I split up amoungst all my family yesterday...The only "oro blanco" grapefruit I aquired from "four Winds" I grew through the summer...IT WAS SOOOO SWEET! It tasted like an orange and grapefruit Combination...Delicious!

Citrusnut, this is soo awsome. You have a manderine, and it tastes good...I think I will get one...Do you know that I too have a "red ruby" from Logees that I picked up there a few months back, and yah, it small for sure...Let me take a picture and I will post here for you..

Oh man, I have so many, I will go home and count them and take a few pics of some ok...Now that I have one of my skylights installed, boy are they happy as alark..lol

Thanks for the compliment...I appreciate it coming from someone who does so well with his too..You know what?I had no idea that is how orchids were fed and watered..Very interesting..

I too am keeping my plant room filled with mostly citrus on the very cool side..I am seeing a REMARKABLE difference in growth. They seem to be thriving....My oranges are breaking out in bloom and many others. The leaves stay on with no drop...No pests for the first time, and watering has almost come to a halt...I can let a pot dry out for days in these cool temps, and the plants do not wilt..I like it this way. I also save on my heating bill..

Today, they are all outside again in the sun. It is in the 50's to 60 today, and I gave them all a hose down..They love that too..lol

I will be back here with a count on my trees along with some pics..Just give me a day or two..

Hoping you are well, and it is sooo good to see you back like old times...

You know who knows how to grow citrus remarkably, Toni, "hopefulauthour"...She is a smart cookie..:-)

Mike..;-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, BEAUTIFUL and healthy tree you have there. I have my citrus potted in the gritty mix. My Meyer and Kumquat are loaded with fruits this year...but the tree is not very attractive with all the CLM...UGH!! I hate them!! Thank goodness it doesn't affect the fruits!!

{{gwi:69242}}

• citrusnut
    14 years ago

Wow Mike, thank you for the OroBlanco grapefruit info, that is one that I've got on my future list, but didn't get it for fear that it may be too sour, have lots of thick skin and hardly any fruit; and the only place I see it for sale is Four Winds. Looks like I'll have something to order form them after all. What size tree did you get and how long have you had it?

I am amazed that you got your ruby red grapefruit from Logee's, too. I can't wait to see yours. How long have you had it? Does it grow fast?

Next Spring I plan on ordering another Owari satsuma from from Stan McKenzie, but a larger one this time (hope he can still ship out of state). I ordered the small one in case the fruit wouldn't be so great, cause heard of that happening. But it was so good that I want the same one again.

Puglover, your tree is beautiful, with great shape and form. And the trunk is so thick, too. How old is it?
    What is the fruit on it?

Yes, it would be nice to have Toni here dispensing her citrus wisdom. But it's good that we have you here. You keep things going and interesting. And have a large amount of knowledge; and passion for our foliar friends. You too, Puglover, glad you're here for all the same reasons.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thank you Citrusnut for the kind comments :o)
    That is a Nagami Kumquat Nagami, and I believe its about 4 years old. I really need to go up a size on that pot next year and the lemon too.

Some of the fruits are starting to ripen.
    {{gwi:646188}}
    My Meyer lemons..
    {{gwi:646190}}
    Meyer in bloom taken in June
    {{gwi:595131}}

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Wow Nancy!!!

Those are some mighty good-looking trees you have there, and they are in containers...You know what? See the difference just another 12 extra months of sun per year can make down there?..lol
    I gotta tell you. If you were not fertilizing them right, even with all that sun, they still wouldn't look as good as yours. If they were in a poor soiless mix, same thing! You are doing something right, and I am so proud of you..

Way to go!!

Citrusnut, are you ready for the count?

Chalamondin (1)
    Orange "navel" (2)
    Ruby grapefruit (1)
    Red ruby grapefruit from Logees,lol (1)
    Oro blanco grapefruit, my favorite (1)
    Lemon meyer (5)
    Ponderosa lemon (4)
    Lime (3)
    Vraiegated orange (1)
    You are going to laugh, but I go to Logees so often, that I failed to realize that I bought, just a couple months ago a, yes a "satsuma manderine"!! It was 29.00 dollars in a 4inch container..YIKES

My red ruby is just a bit embarrasing to post..It is as small as yours and hasn't grown much since I bought it in the summer...About 8 inches tall without the container added in..lol

NOTHING COMPARED TO NANCY'S!!! God they are so beautiful! Can I pick one?

I miss toni here. She also has some really nice looking trees..:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thank you Mike! Don't sell yourself short. Your citrus and plants are wonderful,healthy and thriving! You live in a zone that is a lot harder to grow than me! You and the rest of everyone here deserves a big pat in the back for growing plants and pushing the zone limits. You guys are the ones that deserve the compliments...for sure!

CLM's have been a constant battle for me, so I just gave in. As long as the fruits are not affected, I will live the unsightly contorted new leaves!

• citrusnut
    14 years ago

Mike, you do have alot of citrus. I counted 19. Boy, you're lucky to live near enough to Logee's to go visit. It must be fun to go hunting for little treasures there. All I can do rummage thru the catalogs.

Puglvr, it's always fun to push the limits, isn't it?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Beautiful trees, Mike and Nancy!
    Thank you so much for sharing pics.
    I can't wait to get started with citrus.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thankyou Josh!!

Talk to you later..:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Citrusnut, yes it is fun and a lot of work,lol. I am also growing some young Mangoes and Lychees here in my zone(where we get a few days of freeze)...so I have to go into "freeze mode" a few days a year and protect my trees. I almost lost them all last year, it was a very bad winter for us...worst in 20+ years. Keeping fingers crossed it will be milder this winter?

Thanks Josh, congrats on deciding to grow citrus, You are going to have a lot of fun growing them. Especially once they start fruiting and being able to pick your own fruits from trees you've grown and nurtured! We want pics when you start! Good luck!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Josh pics...? No dought about it....You better throw some pics here of your new citrus tree. Starting with a ponderosa lemon baby tree if you want one...Just let me know Josh.

I hope you start, and you become a part of these forums..You are fun to have around..;-)

Mike;-)

• greenpointmary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Nice pictures everyone, thank you for posting! I hope I can get my Meyer lemon on that path, looks like I may need to repot it in some gritty mix. Mine is still in the nursery pot. :(
    I wonder if I can safely repot while it is flowering and setting fruit? I need to do some research...

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hi...Thanks Mary!

If your plants is doing fine in that soil, I would wait till the spring.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Mary, Thanks also!!

I agree with Mike...if it were mine I would wait till Spring or right after your fruits ripen. I would def. look into the gritty mix, it has served my purpose very well with all my potted fruit and houseplants.

• greenpointmary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys, that's what I will do!

• mml_54
    8 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and excited to find you all and your great wisdom. I live in Sierra Vista, AZ zone 8a and I have a dwarf Meyer lemon I purchased last year. This will be the trees 2nd winter with us here and last year when temps got around 30 degrees I would bring it into the sunroom. Fortunately I have 3 skylights because my windows are tinted I believe so light for plants comes from skylights mainly. Problem is since it blooms and fruits all year long when can I safely repot it? Also is it better to leave it outside in the winter? They told me it was hardy to 25 degrees F?

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If I were livning there, I would dig a hole for the winter and bury the pot so that the pot and roots never freeze at those temps and that the roots stay at an even temp protected by the warmer soil, although the top can handle air temps. Or, I would just bring it in for the winter in a room like that and keep the roots at a steady warmer temp..Just me)

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

Hi!

I am also new to this discussion and hope someone here will be able to give me solid pieces of advice on a couple of questions re Meyer Lemon tree handling. Sorry, but this is going to be a bit longish.

About a month ago, I purchased a three-year-old Meyer Lemon tree (repotted it into a 5-gal container per vendor’s instructions). The problem I now have with this beautiful little tree is two-fold - overwatering and soil gnats.

1) Overwatering and gnats. When I received this tree on November 9th (w/o the soil; in wood shavings), I repotted it immediately into a 5 gal plastic container (per vendor's instructions) with several drainage holes on the bottom (I even made additional holes for easier drainage) using organic Miracle Gro soil. Incidentally, after I had repotted the tree, the vendor told me that my soil choice was not good as this type of organic soil tended to be rather dense and suggested adding some wood shavings (in which the tree was packed for delivery) to it, which I did. In hindsight, I should have added more of those. At that point I think I badly overwatered it (one of the accompanying leaflets suggested to water the repotted plant generously). I am sure I overdid it. Within a week or more, I started having problems - curling, cupping inwards and some yellowing and falling leaves and ... scores of gnats.

The gnats began appearing en mass on the surface and through the container's bottom drainage holes about a while the top layer was completely dry and the soil was dry almost half way down the container depth (it is 10.5" high). Realizing I was having a watering problem, I let the tree stand without water up until four days ago. I checked the soil and it was pretty dry on the surface and half way down. I was afraid the tree might dry out and die on me. So I watered it (almost a month after the first overwatering) in spite of the fact that I now had the gnat problem. Perhaps another mistake ... Should I now stop watering it altogether until the soil again gets dry? The vendor said I should not repot it at this point as it would be stressful for the tree and advised to watch the moistness of the soil. But how long should I now wait before I water it again is a question.

I am afraid the tree may die on me because of the above two problems and my inexperience.

2) A secondary issue for me (at least at this point) is choosing a Meyer-Lemon-correct fertilizer. I read that Meyer Lemon should not be fertilized in autumn and winter. However, at some point I shall have to fertilize it. I have seen several fertilizers on the Web that seem to be beneficial for citrus trees, but I have real difficulty in deciding on the best type and N-P-K ratio. I saw two organic ones on the Web: one has a 7-4-2 composition, the other – 7-3-3. In terms of these ratios, which one, do you think, should have a better, kind of more ‘Meyer-Lemon-specific’ effect? Hope those of you who have Meyer Lemon trees and have had good results over time with certain N-P-K ratios can advise.

Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

• hottina44
    8 years ago

I'm Fairly new w Meyer lemon trees. I had a great one 10 yrs. ago , I abused it. Had no sun, heat in apt for a while & never fed it& it's doing better than my Dec. order fr. Ediblefruittrees.ive got fish Emolsion grow bulb heat mat & Jobes organic furtilizer & when I got it in Dec. lost 2/3 leaves, most turned yellow, had one lemon( lil pin point lemon) lost it & 1/2 doz.bloomed flowers. Tried to move that pollin to each bud but nothing. I've done more for this tree,supposed to be 3-4 yrs old but it's only 2 ft. Tall & since it dropped everything I've grown Nothing back, NOTHING !!! It's been in my bedroom where it's warmest, not much natural sun so it's artificial 12 hrs. What can I do to get this Ever bearing myer lemon to grow wood leaf or a bud? I'm in Pa. Had the worst snow storm in many yrs. please tell me what I can do since I neglected my 10 yr ago tree & it did so much betters!!! Please help yours are Beautiful❤️❤️❤️❤️I need to know a CFL bulb 12" watt , how close to my myer to keep CFL?

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

Hi everybody!

On October 9th last I purchased from Four Winds Growers a three-year-old Meyer Lemon and replanted it into a 5-gal plastic container as instructed by the vendors. At the beginning, the plant suffered from gnats (the problem, which in the next two months I think I have successfully eliminated by adding perlite to the organic soil) and it also looked kind of pitiful and unhappy. In December it produced one flower and that was it. I have been reading this discussion with great interest in the hope someone among you - much more knowledgeable and experienced Meyer Lemon owners than I am - would help me out with some useful advise on how to improve the wellbeing of my little Meyer Lemon, esp. on proper fertilizing (type and frequency). I left my post on November 6th, which was totally ignored. Got no feedback whatsoever. All I see here is mostly a discussion among three-four regulars/old-timers and "Ahs!" and "Ohs!" about each other's posted photos of their trees. This is rather disappointing.

• bmelz
    8 years ago

Hi Alex, sorry that nobody had replied to you. Many people don't like to read/reply to old threads or especially read long posts in old threads. I think you would have had a better response if you had created a new post (even though yours is somewhat related to this original thread). In fact if I were you,

I'd even still just copy and paste your post from Nov and create a new thread, you'll probably get some better information than I'm about to give you.

Depending on the current light and temperature conditions that your tree is in, it might not be growing much at the moment and would require less frequent watering. My tree is in my living room in front of a south facing window with a fluctuating temperature of 18.5 - 20 (65 - 68 Fahrenheit). Sometimes my soil stays moist for two weeks at a time, and that's in a 5-1-1 soil mix.

Yes, you should stop watering until your soil gets dry (at least the top couple of inches. You never want the entire soil to completely dry right out, but you definitely do not want it water logged. You can try to help it dry out by trying to insert some string in the drain holes and allow it to wick the water into a separate bucket. unfortunately, I think you're going to eventually want to change your soil. I would wait until the spring, when we start getting more sunlight. I would also recommend something like the 5-1-1 mix. look it up on google and gardenweb for much more information.

As for fertilizing, I use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro as it comes highly recommended on this site. The nursery that I bought the tree from recommended any 20-20-20 mix, so I switch it up and use that every 4th fertilizing. In the summer I fertilize my Meyer at double the dosage as per Dyna-Gro label every week. I don't fertilize much in the winter months. Most people around here will recommend the Foliage Pro for ferts.

Hope that's enough info to make get you started in some sort of direction, but I would still advise in starting up your own topic. That way, if it ever falls off the first page, you can just enter any reply to bring it straight back to the top.

good luck

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

Thanks much, bmelz, for your support and advice. Really appreciate it.

Looks like all is not lost for me on this discussion group. Incidentally, I posted my original query here after checking what the people had been discussing. I thought his is exactly the group of people who might help.

Just to set you up a bit about my situation. I live in the Bronx, NY; I am a beginner at trying to grow Meyer Lemon tree indoors; the tree sits on a window sill facing north (unfortunately, just do not have a better place); not much sunlight as you can imagine; I have had the tree for 4 months now and it still looks rather miserable with most of the leaves cupping inward, some yellowing and falling off (see attached photos). The soil is organic, to which after a couple of months I added perlite to improve drainage.

I haven't fertilized it yet, but purchased two types of fertilizer to be ready to feed. I opted first for this fertilizer as it seemed to be specifically formulated for citrus trees - E.B. Stone Organic Citrus & Fruit Tree Food (7-3-3):

http://www.groworganic.com/citrus-and-fruit-tree-food-7-3-3-4-lb-box.html

However, just to be sure that I did the right thing, I contacted the Four Winds Growers, from whom I purchased my Meyer Lemon. A gentleman who responded strongly recommended this one over the one above (albeit without explaining why this one was more adviseable) - Dr. Earth Acid Lovers (Azalea/Camellia/Rhododendron/Maple (4-5-4):

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Earth-703P-Rhododendron-Fertilizer/dp/B000VZRV38

For some reason he also advised me to start fertilizing in spring. I actually have no reason to disregard his advice since they specialize in citrus trees. However, I would be interested to know what you and others think about these fertilizer options and which one I should go with.

Also, I am not much of an N-P-K ratio expert and do not know much about the types of soil people are discussing here. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that much of the discussion here revolves about the trees that are kept outside rather than indoors.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago

WELL SAID!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Alex I had water problem with wet soil when I started out My mix was 50% garden dirt 50% compost. My trees did well in summer but winter time came and my mix was way to heavy. I fixed the problem next spring. Meanwhile I augmented the problem by heating the root base to 80F and pulled fresh air though the roots with a vacuum chamber and a vacuum cleaner.

bucket light and grow boxes · More Info
    grow box with beat greens on first level heats the second floor to 80F so the citrus tree roots are warmed to 80F. The money saved by growing my own organic beet greens paid for the electric for both levels.

Sweetlee #4 · More Info
    The trees above are 1 year old from seed. Each tree in the hot box was fitted with it own vacuum chamber and got me through the winter. Notice the sided aeration hole in the bucket. 2 of the trees were planted in grown and 1 tree was planted in a 30 gallon container in a proper mix. All 3 did very well

You can wrap your pot with a string of Christmas tree lights instead of what I did above. Depending on your tree's size you might find the setup below to be of use to you

New Zealand lemonade tree · More Info
    This would make any electrical inspector smile. Metal box with ground screw and wire clamp, ceramic ceiling light fixture, grounded wire and plug. This will get you through the winter.

bucket light and grow boxes · More Info
    For slender trees using multi story foil lined 5 gallon buckets work very well.

#1 Fukushu kumquat from seed · More Info
    Fukushu#2 from above to below in 7 months with bucket light system,

I show picture so others can see how my equipment is built and to show my tree's resulting growth. Anyone can chose to use some or all of my growing techniques to achieve similar results.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Mike How is your in ground Meyer lemon tree doing. If I remember correctly you planted it inside your greenhouse.

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

Thanks, Steve Z. From the photos it looks like you're conducting your plant experiments either in the garage or some kind of barn. Unfortunately, I cannot afford building contraptions like that in my apartment.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

The first 2 pictures are in the basement. the rest are in my bedroom. I do handyman work and almost everything I have is from construction debris. The 7 gallon buckets are empty pool chlorinating compounds. The 35 gallon trash can was to old and our garbage men would not pick it up. The light buckets carried building materials. All my trees were either gifts, Rescue, or from seed. I do understand cost. My wife is retired and I am under employed and have to watch any spending over $0.00. Best of luck with your tree.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago

Lex, did you see what Bmelz had to offer? I thought it was fantastic...

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    8 years ago

I was going to say I haven't seen too many "garages or barns" with crown moulding around the windows. We love Steve's creative repurposing around here!

• hottina44
    8 years ago

Hey, Alex, I know how you feel? My main question was pretty basic? How far should I keep a 120 watt CFL bulb from my 2 ft. (Said it was 2-3 yr. old Meyer lemon tree? Anyone have an idea? I have 80 watt CLF bulb & it's not doing a thing since I got it in Dec. w it lost all yellow leaves one lemon & all bloms ? Everyone gets answered but me? Is it to hard of a question? Or am I invisible ?1 time I asked I didn't think it was that hard to answer with all these inventions with lights .I thought mine was basic ?

• hottina44
    8 years ago

Thanks All ! ! !

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

if you click on my name it will open my profile and idea books. I have most of my important citrus stuff that worked well. You may want to duplicate some of what I have done.

• johnmerr
    8 years ago

Start a new thread!!! The last dozen posts have nothing at all to do with the title/subject.

• hottina44
    8 years ago

Doesn't anyone know about growing Meyer lemon tree under 120 watt CFL bulb? I was hoping for a few words of advise ?

• bmelz
    8 years ago

@hottina44, You've already received advice on the thread you created. as John mentioned, your question has nothing to do with the title of this thread. I don't mean to sound rude but It's bad forum etiquette to hijack threads.

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

bmelz, you're suggesting that I try the Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro. If the tree is producing fruit, is it safe to eat those lemons? This maybe a silly question for the novice like myself, but when you look at the back label of the Dyna-Gyro bottle, you realize that this potent concoction has too many heavy (if not toxic) components. This is why in my earlier post I asked you to comment on the two organic fertilizers, but perhaps you didn't notice that. It may be a wishful proposition, but I just hoped to keep my tree more or less "organic".

As for winter feeds, you're saying that you don't fertilize your Meyer Lemon often in winter. Should it be fertilized in winter at all? I am getting conflicting advice from different people.

For some reason, you advised me to start a new thread. The only reason I am on this one is that its header reads "How often should I fertilize a Meyer Lemon" and this is precisely the issue I need advice on. I joined in the hope of being helped.

Best.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Alex I agree that this thread is fine for your question at this time. In the future though start a new thread so your question is on top for anyone to read

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    8 years ago

Define "too many heavy (if not toxic) components."

Josh

• bmelz
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

I did not comment on your previous post about the two specific organic ferts because it wasn't posted until after my reply. So no I didn't see it.

I do see your post now about the organic fertilizer. I will let you know that I am no expert on fertilizers and will therefor not be able to advise on the two you have inquired about. Maybe someone else can chime in. Here is a post though that talks about using organic fertilizers in containers. I personally do not use organic fertilizers but have seen some discussion on in the past.

As mentioned, I use Dyna-Pro Foliage pro simply because it comes highly recommended in these forums. I also use a 20-20-20 solution as it was suggested by the nursery I bought the tree from. I have not yet heard or seen any talks of concern (on this site or elsewhere) about using the FP on a tree that is producing fruit. Again, that is, until now. I am no expert on fertilizer but am interested in knowing the dangers of feeding with fertilizing containing heavy (potentially toxic) components found in this concoction. I would also like to know more about which components might be toxic. Since it is frequently recommended without disclaimer I believe that sort of information would be good to know. Please do advise.

As for winter feeds, I personally do not feed as often during the winter. Due to the lack of sunlight (through a window) and shorter days my plants do not grow as vigorously. fertilizing at these normal strength can promote spindly weak growth. I also picked up that advice on one of the numerous posts/threads/topics on this website. Now maybe a guy like Steve, who has his plants under buckets and lights might be feeding regularly.

You are correct to post in this thread, there is nothing wrong with that and I'm sorry if you feel like I was being critical of your post. If you will re-read my reply carefully (specifically the first paragraph and last paragraph), my suggestion for starting a new thread is based on the potential receiving more responses.

Now for the most important piece of information in this post:

You WILL read conflicting advice and information. This is not a maybe, this is with absolute certainty. There are way too many variables for a 'one size fits all' solution.

What you can get out of these forums is a wealth of information and shared experiences from people that have had success growing plants from seeds and grafts to guys that are running large scale global citrus operations. All you can do is take all this information and shared experience and decide what works best for you, your plant, your budget, and in your environment.

good luck.

• alex_g76
    8 years ago

bmelz and BarbJP, thanks much for your explanations and support. Really appreciate your input.

Having read your comments re fertilizing my Meyer Lemon, I guess I can conclude several things. For instance, that I should try using Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro or Osmocote and that Meyer Lemon can be occasionally fertilized in winter months. Also, you feel that organic fertilizers may not be as effective as non-organic ones and that you are not familiar with the two fertilizers that I mentioned in my earlier post.

As much as it clears up some issues for me, it leads to additional questions on my part, if you don't mind of course. Can you clearly say that of these two brands/types one is more effective for a three-year-old indoor Meyer Lemon sitting on a north-facing window sill? A more specific question: I purchased my tree four months ago and haven't fertilized it yet (because the vendor advised against feeding it in winter). We are now in mid-February. From your experience, do you think I should feed it now? What fertilizer should I use for the very first feeding? BTW, bmelz, what is the "20-20-20 solution" you are referring to?

Thanks.

• hottina44
    8 years ago

I just ordered micronutrients, for my Meyer lemon & 2 super Dwarft banana plants. The roots looked great & 2 weeks later they don't look good. They say the micro nutrients with ( fungus, I rink )1 oz, said better for root growth than root compound. How all feel about adding micronutrients to better roots on banana plants that lost 1/2 roots? Please let me know feelings?

• PRO
    Rashedunnabi
    8 years ago

Give indoor Meyer lemon trees a slow-release 2-1-1
    fertilizer in early spring as soon as new growth begins.
    Do not feed fertile it during the
    winter months.Fertilize
    young Meyer lemon trees after they have been in the ground at least two years,
    which is when they begin to demand heavy nitrogen. Feed 2-year-old trees 1/3
    cup of 21-0-0 ammonium sulfate in January or February as soon as new growth
    emerges.

• hottina44
    8 years ago

A lot of ppl. Say slow release furtilizer ( miricle grow for citrus ) is no good for citrus potted trees? I'm lost , I've used organic ( stinks bad!!!) a light feeding after I got my tree & lost all yellow leaves lil lemons & all flowers. None got to fruiting even though I tried to w q-tip like ppl say. It hasn't grown anything since loss of all when I got it early Dec. I need it to grow something , it will be bald next step ! Can I do anything?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Hardly anyone on this forum will say that Slow-Release fertilizer is not good. It is good and very good for citrus. But Miracle Grow is not a slow-release fertilizer, Osmocote is.

The yellow leaves that easily fall off is most likely due to root rot, often due to poorly draining soil.

Citrus trees do normally drop a lot of flowers and tiny fruit naturally. They set so much fruit that they can't ripen it all, so at least 75% or more just drop off when tiny. Very normal.

Don't bother with the q-tip. Citrus don't need pollination to set fruit, the pollen is just for making seeds inside the fruits. (on seeded varieties, that is)

Citrus in general don't grow much at all in the winter. You should start to see some growth in the next few months as the weather starts to warm up.

But to really help you, we need to see pictures. Close up and of the whole tree. We need to know where you are located and if the tree grows inside in the winter or if it will be outside all year.

And if you start a new thread of your own with the pics and info, you will get a much better response from many more people, as they'll see your questions more easily. Plus you can track the answers with your email. I do encourage you to start your own thread.