SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattyw5

Some surprisingly good roses in northern Illinois

Fiji has been picked on a bit lately in the forum. For me however this rose has been spectacular. I hate hybrid teas but Fiji has just enough branching with lots of healthy foliage to make it not look like a ht. Blooms are able to open every time as the petals have what I call substance.

So it is not the best photo but she is a great rose with plenty of blooms and good vigor.

Plum Perfect Is a great rose here. Healthy vigorous but short as the canes were not winter hardy at -14 F but it is a fabulous front of the border plant. With time it may end up being a 3 foot rose but who knows it is young. I can say that it is very healthy with lots of flowers. More purple in cool weather more plum in hot weather. Good petal substance and has never balled.

I swear that they will never grow too large as they just don't stop blooming long enough to grow. It is like 6 inches tall here. I have 6 of these roses. They are taller now.

Princess Alexandra of Kent and Princess Ann are turning out to be really good here. Blooms are opening well and I love it. They are healthy so far and continuous bloom. Very few big blooms do well here for me So I have 7 PA and 3 PAoK. The only draw back is the growth habit of PAoK, so far it seems to look more like a hybrid tea than a shrub. Maybe mine just need a little more time.

Nearly all of my roses are own root starting as bands and continuous in bloom. So I don't need to repeat that every time.

The next rose I purchased as The Lady Gardener. What ever it is I love love love it. It does show some apricot this year. But it is mostly off white, sometimes pinkish sometimes a tad of pale yellow. The bloom are so nice large and full of petals. Best of all there is no balling. YIPPY They even get that chopped off look sometimes but they don't ball. Always opening to look as they should. Healthy to boot.

So these are my full petaled rose that have proven themselves as great roses here. There are a few more that may make the list. Time will tell.

Comments (6)