SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_tidmarsh

Need help with kitchen layout

Erin Tidmarsh
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Some of the measurements got cut off. On the righthand side it is 207" from wall to wall. Bottom is 137.5". On the top it is 135". there are 49" from the age of the wind to the French door and 21" from the other side of the window to the edge of the living room (there is a beam across the ceiling there).

Hello all! We have lived in our current house for almost 14 years and about 7 years ago did a major remodel where we re-did our entire house except for the garage and kitchen. It is now time for the kitchen to have a turn! Our house was built in 1955 and I am pretty sure the cabinets have been here that long! When we moved in to our house, there was a single phone jack, no cable or satellite jacks and maybe one outlet in every room, so we have come a long way since then and this is the last room to tackle.

We are a family of 4, 2 full time working parents and kids ages 13 & 8. Our kitchen is an eat-in kitchen (with dining table/chairs) and is open to our living room. There is not really anyplace else to put our dining table other than in the middle of our living room. As you can see, we also have a single French door opening to our backyard, but it is next to a floor to ceiling cabinet which makes it awkward and closed off, but other than through our master bedroom, it is the only access to the backyard (I'd love to move it and widen it). Because the kitchen/dining room is open to the living room for 134", the floor plan is open. I like to bake, though I am fine without a "being center", I do need more counter and storage space. It's usually yours truly in the kitchen with the kids being dragged in to unload the dishes or take out the trash. They do occasionally help (my 8 year old loves to peel potatoes).

Our goals are somewhat simple:

1. redo cabinets (the floors are also being redone in the entire house as part of this project)

2. fix the flow. We have minimal counter space and our dishwasher is under the counter between the sink and dishwasher which is incredibly annoying. We have a whole wall that is not being used because it would be blocking the door.

3. add more counter and storage space

4. In a perfect world, move and widen the doors (ideally 6' so 2 standard French doors)

We are open to moving just about anything except the range. We are purchasing new appliances and we have chosen a standard depth fridge (dimensions: 35.75W x 69H x 36.25D) and our range is dimensions:30W x 48H x 25D . Our current microwave is an OTRMW/Hood, but we are not committed to keeping that. I'd like to put it in a lower drawer or cabinet so the kids can access it easier (mostly the 8 year old, the 13 year old is 5'7"). We want a standard dishwasher, but we have not found one we love yet.

We cannot live without a table in the kitchen. We currently have a table that seats 8 and we often have extended family and friends over for dinner/food. Our current table is a standard rectangle, but we have considered moving to a counter height square which would take up a similar amount of room, but in a different way.

Our real issues are that I want to change up the footprint and my husband (who doesn't often cook and who also thought we didn't need more bathrooms in a house with 3 girls - we had 1 bath, we now have 3) thinks we can keep the same footprint and just do some updating. But I hate it and can't see spending another 5 years, let alone more, with this current kitchen. We've been at a standstill (which is getting me nowhere near my new kitchen) because neither one of us has been willing to compromise until a friend suggested this site and we are willing to listen to unbiased strangers LOL.

Comments (2)