Mutilated bird I.D. please....would a owl do this?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (6)
- 9 years agoKonrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta thanked ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
Related Discussions
Idyll #413 The Snowy Owl
Comments (100)No ice here, thankfully, but Saucy's area keeps coming up on the news as being "worst hit." 1 million people are without power in MA and NH and having been through those areas a lot, the prediction that power will be back on by mid-next week seems optimistic. Yesterday crews from the service side of my work were gathering donations to bring with them: those in-pocket handwarmers, warm socks, plastic bags to use as raingear, candles, hot cocoa and instant coffee mix, little gas grills, anything that might help them and and residents be a bit more comfortable. I'm sure Rich will be getting in touch with some organization to see if he can help in some way -- it's just too close to us to not do anything when we were untouched. Kyle has decided he wants "my people" for his graduation, so I'm digging out old phone numbers and making the pot luck dinner list. This should be quite fun, and today he, Rich and I will collectively decide if his paternal family will be here or if we will have them do their own thing. Two extraordinarily different approaches to celebration mean that "separate" is sometimes the more comfortable way to go. We'll see. Thank You Cindy (I think it was Cindy) who suggested fondue. You have just resolved my "what do I do for breakfast" question since it seems that that's the one Holiday mean for which I'll be responsible. Thinking of using thick French Toast and warm syrup, fruit with lightened chocolate and/or vanilla based dipping sauce...the possibilities are endless. One less thing to think about! LOL, Sue, about the old boyfriend. I'd be nosy too but also be careful, please!!!! It amazed and continues to amaze me how brazen men can be toward recently single women, like we couldn't possibly get along without a "dangler" by our side or at least on call. From experience, don't register on Classmates or any other from-the-past networking site, the loonies will be at your door in a heartbeat. Thanks for the cow tail link, Cynthia, and my god dogs thank you too :-) Did Hope arrive as trained as she is? Re the Topiarys: I still plan to post mine on Dec 20 in anticipation of the Solstice, and hope lots of others join in, semi-leafless or structured plants or not. Just sounds like fun. This weekend will be comprised of a "putz list" of cool stuff I've wanted to do (those Salvias really need to get out of the garage and downstairs) and just kicking back. Wind chills will be in the single digits but heck, why do I have a bathtub with warm water if not to indulge after freezing my keester off to save some random terra cotta?? LOL Waving to all, and really hope that friends to the immediate north are staying warm. Martie...See MoreDo you find anything strange with birds this fall?
Comments (41)Oh, I'm so jealous of your grosbeaks and redpolls, Pudge! I think my neighbor is feeding too well, because the grosbeaks are always hanging around there and I'm lucky if they pop by for a brief visit. I did get some Evening Grosbeaks in for a good feed this spring and again this fall. That was a thrill to spot them, as I hadn't seen them before. I haven't seen a redpoll for about 3 years now. I find them so cute. The last time I saw a flock of them was early in the spring/late winter. Do they stay around all winter? Someone told me once that they cycle...and I don't remember why...was it their migration pattern maybe? I'd be interested to know if someone had any thoughts on that. I also had my first White Breasted Nuthatch yesterday! Another cutie and fun to watch...very vocal. He was still here this evening. RE: salt and birds...I'm thinking they probably require certain amounts naturally and find it somewhere, but with bird feeder fast-food that contains salt, they might eat alot of it because its easy to get and therefore get too much salt. Sound familiar? ie. potato chips! Gil, I wonder if the nuthatches would like your suet bars? Toots...See MoreDo you know this owl?
Comments (10)We have screech owls who nest in the woods beside the house in our nesting box or in a tree and we treat them like "they aren't there"... LOL as if we didn't spend LOTS of time watching them, esp when the babes fledge. But for the most part, I find whether it's owls, wrens, or something in between, just go about your normal routines and they will adapt accordingly (moving further away from the yard if that's their choice). I'd keep the cat inside "just in case" but don't think the kids will have any problems. Nice pic and aren't you lucky. We feel blessed when the larger owls come into the yard....See MoreBirds eating garden fruit; identification of bird?
Comments (4)Oh, yea he's hanging out by onions here. The strawberries are off camera to the right, and the tomatoes are in small planters on either side of the planter he's on now. Those are really the only fruit we have that we've had trouble with; we have watermelon and cantaloupe but they birds ever bother them. could be sparrows, we have a lot of those in the neighborhood. this species is the only one that seems to actually stick around in the garden, thought. i probably should have mentioned that I live in south eastern PA....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARCrowd-Pleasing Paint Colors for Staging Your Home
Ignore the instinct to go with white. These colors can show your house in the best possible light
Full Story
SUMMER GARDENINGHouzz Call: Please Show Us Your Summer Garden!
Share pictures of your home and yard this summer — we’d love to feature them in an upcoming story
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: Northern Cardinals in the Snow, and Other Red Birds
Brilliant crimson feathers make these friends stand out in a crowd
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSBackyard Birds: Meet Some Clever and Curious Jays
Boisterous jays provide plenty of backyard bird-watching in winter. Here’s how to identify all the varieties and welcome them into your yard
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSBackyard Birds: Those Nutty Nuthatches
The North American songbirds, which often perch upside down, make themselves known in the winter landscape
Full Story
An Ode to Owls Around the House
This feathery symbol of wisdom is a fun addition to a home, especially in fall
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESBring on the Birds: Natural Habitat Ideas for Gardens of All Sizes
Provide nesting, watering and perching spots inspired by the Costa Rican jungle and watch the birds flock on over
Full Story
LIFE10 Things Night Owls Know to Be True
Love being up while the world slumbers? Prefer a really late bedtime to an early night? These observations on night owl life may ring true
Full Story
FUN HOUZZIn Honor of Portlandia, Put a Bird on It!
Season 2 of the Portland-centric sketch comedy show premieres on IFC tonight
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Make Your Nursery a Hoot With Owl Fabric
Set your little one's imagination aflight with pillows, sheets or upholstery bedecked in winged woodland creatures
Full StoryMore Discussions

User