SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Rendering Lard

annie1992
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

It rained here today, so I couldn't garden or fix fence, and I already did Dave's books this week. I decided it was time to make some freezer room, since it's nearly blueberry season, and get that 22 pounds of pork fat out and get it rendered into lard.

It started out as a frozen chunk, so it got thawed and "trimmed", and became this. I've found it melts faster and more easily when it is ground rather than chopped.

After a couple of hours of melting fat in the crockpot, I strained it, using this high tech straining device (grin)...

After straining it, it was nice and clear and did not smell at all "porky"...

A couple of hours of work later and it was sitting on the counter, cooling:

After it hardened it was still a nice snowy white, so I'm happy with it.

Plus, as an added bonus, I got four 2 cup bags of cracklin's to freeze for cornbread later and Elery is plotting a batch of cornbread stuffing with cracklin's. That sounds good to me, how can fried pork be bad? (grin)

The "project" took about 4 hours from grinding the fat to putting lard in the freezer, so not as time consuming as I thought it would be. After a couple of batches with the coffee filter I switched to several layers of cheesecloth, the filters were taking forever to strain through, and I don't notice a difference in the end product. It seemed like the part that took the longest was washing the melted pork fat off the stove top, out of the crock pot(s), off my counter top. The dogs took care of the floor for me, as it was spatters and not a grease slick, I let them get their taste, then mopped up.

Next project? Bacon! I have pork belly in the freezer that needs to be cured and smoked, then sliced and frozen, and that will free up a bit more space. It'll be 6 weeks or so before the garden starts really producing, so I've got to have SOMETHING to keep me out of trouble!

Annie

Comments (22)