SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Survival tips for really long flights?

Sueb20
6 years ago

I (plus DH and 3 kids) will be flying 14+ hours soon. Help! I start to go a little nutty after about 4 hours, so not sure how I'll deal with this. Any tips?

I have a kindle. I have an iPhone and iPad (not sure if I'll bring my iPad -- I usually don't). We are flying on a big airbus so I'm assuming we will have movies/TV.

What else? Podcasts, maybe? Any good ones to share?

Fortunately the kids are age 16-25 and are good travelers, so they can entertain themselves.

Comments (48)

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I try to think of it as broken up into chunks of time. For instance, when I fly to London, it's not long once we're airborne that they serve dinner. Even though it's just airline food, I try to look at that as a little "event." After dinner, I settle in and watch a movie, and then at some point I attempt to sleep - although I rarely do. I might doze momentarily, but it's definitely a sleepless night for the most part (almost always fly the red-eye to LHR). I'll rouse myself, watch another movie, read a book or magazine, and maybe try to sleep for another "chunk". It really seems that it's not long at all before we're getting closer to our destination and the flight attendants are readying breakfast. The inflight movies really do help me to pass the time, as do my attempts at sleeping - although that time is usually spent tossing and turning. Still ... it's something to do. ;-)

It's great that your kids are good travelers! I worried about how my 12-year old niece would do when we took her to London on our last trip, but she did just fine. The plane was half empty, so we each go to stretch out and take over a few seats. The kid actually managed to sleep much of the way!

ETA: Just saw the Ambien suggestion. I thought I would take Ambien on one of my first transatlantic flights, but had the good sense to do a test run before the trip. It was horrible. About 25 minutes after I took the pill, I began having not just double, but triple vision, and it was reported to me that every other word out of my mouth was an "f bomb." I remember absolutely nothing. This would've been disastrous on an actual flight. YMMV.

• Related Discussions

This is a really long shot as far as identifying goes.

Q

Comments (8)
    The Goatweed Leafwing looks like the right shape and color, but I can't find any reference to them living this far up the east coast, but they are found in Virginia and that's just a couple hours away. Kind of a stretch though but it had been an exceptionally mild winter. The description of their flight pattern matches too. I had thought maybe Viceroy or Mourning Cloak too but they don't seem quite right. The wings look more curved than what I saw but then again it happened so fast. Although they are more than welcome to come to my yard and prove me wrong! I saw it again in my neighbor's yard and just could not get to my camera in time. So frustrating! The color was the same, red like a maple leaf in autumn. Very pretty. I'll just keep stalking the yard!!!
    ...See More

Please post tips for preparing for and surviving renovation?

Q

Comments (10)
    We were fortunate enough to have a basement kitchen that we could move into. Lucky for us, cuz we starting gutting kitchen in June, and granite didn't get put in till the end of November... one thing I learned, you don't really have a functional kitchen until you have a sink! Useful for us, little portable cart with coffee maker, and all coffee/tea supplies. We had tons of company that summer (of course! well-original completion date was supposed to be Aug 08! Ha!). DH and I preferred it downstairs, but our company wanted it upstairs (we had patio table set up in gutted DR)--honestly can't remember if we used hose or bathroom to fill coffee... Amazing how little space you actually do need, note my ~ 2ft of counter and most of the time it had a drying rack on it! We kind of enjoyed it...viewed it as 'camping with all the amenities"! Maybe part of it was the little table we had in basement was from our first apartment, so brought back pleasant memories! I had packed kitchen stuff in open boxes, so that it was reasonably easy to retrieve things. Seldom used items got packed away, and some never got unpacked...good time to get ruthless and declutter! This 'kitchen' was my craft room/plant starting room, so most of those cupboards and drawers were already filled with my supplies, I think I took over the large upper for plates and glasses, etc.
    ...See More

Severe long-lasting Edema After Long Flight- Anyone Experience This?

Q

Comments (26)
    Apparently, my heart is fine. So it's not the pump. By the time I saw my primary physician I had ballooned over 10 lbs. (130 has been my high weight in the past 30 yrs., so 10 is substantial) in less than a week of eating a Spartan low-sodium diet. He started me on a low dose of Lasix & I've dropped 7 lbs. in 3 days. A welcome relief. The swelling in my legs and feet is almost gone - I elevate as often as possible - but I still have abdominal swelling that feels like being 9 mths. pregnant before the baby drops. Cannot zip and button any of my pants so have been wearing pj bottoms at home & loose black yoga pants all week. I have more follow up blood work (doc wanted to let the Lasix work before I went to get more drawn) & a follow up w/ my doc to see where we look next now that heart issues don't seem to be the problem. Today marks 2 wks. since my return flight so I'm doubting the current swelling is directly related. Before this began I was a really healthy person. Never took meds aside from eye drops and fish oil. Maintained a healthy weight, ate healthfully, never smoked, rarely drink alcohol. Mystery...
    ...See More

Can a Hemlock survive long term under the drip of a silver maple?

Q

Comments (16)
    Good to hear the Larch are making a run anyways. Have the Abies or cryptomeria set resting buds? Or are they just taking their time deciding if they want to grow? Too bad with that silver maple next door. Have you dug down in that first planting site? Did you find maple roots encroaching into that area? You might be surprised to find no roots that far out being it's a clay soil but you'd have to check to find out. Not sure about that other site with the gravel. That shouldn't bother the roots by any means except that gravel areas are generally drier due to the moisture perking faster. It might be hard packed from cars and trucks parking in that area. I really can't say from here. Did it seem hard to dig there?
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah, I think I'll skip the serious drugs but I might take an Advil PM at "bed time."

• msmeow
    6 years ago

I've been hearing on the news that some flights/airlines are not allowing tablets or laptops to be carried on - check with your airline. I think something as small as a Kindle is okay, but nothing larger.

I like Ida's suggestion. We are flying to/from Alaska in Aug. and I'll be a mess.

Donna

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I've been hearing on the news that some flights/airlines are not allowing tablets or laptops to be carried on - check with your airline. I think something as small as a Kindle is okay, but nothing larger.

Those are flights coming from certain Middle Easter countries into the US and UK. And that particular ban includes anything larger than a phone.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Try not to think about how long the flight will be. Make a plan to get up and walk every hour and a half.

I became a fan of The Big Bang Theory and caught up on all the old episodes. Also watched many movies that I did not get a chance to see.

You will be fine. This is such an exciting and special trip.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Drink tons of water, no caffeine and no alcohol, period. No greasy or rich foods. Fresh fruit, nuts,and more water.

Wear very comfy clothes, and in layers so you can adjust.

Get up and walk around and stretch.

Try to sleep on your new local time; i like Nyquil (i used to just take a swig of the cold medicine, but now they have separated out the sleep aid component). I find it very gentle, effective, no residual sleepiness.

As I have mentioned before, for vanity's sake, I bring a washcloth and scrub my face clean before "bed", then put on self tanner (the little towelette ones). You arrive looking bright eyed, LOL. Not tanned but not like something the cat drug in.

When you land, (probably afternoon?), try to take a walk in sunlight. Book inroom massages for your first night.

And in any event, I hope you and your family have a wonderful, interesting trip and enjoy your beach chaser!

• graywings123
    6 years ago

The self tanner towelette is brilliant! What brand do you use, Mtn?

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

For you and DH-compression socks to prevent deep vein thrombosis. Get up and move when you can, but it is not as easy to have that luxury as it used to be. Go to the bathroom frequently <wink>. I use earplugs and must be at my optimal sleep temperature, which is not easily achieved even in the comfort of my own home, to speak nothing of the challenges on a plane. Dress in layers. Bon vogage!

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Based on my recent trip to/from China on Delta:

Bonnie_ann, good point about the compression socks. I always wear them on flights longer than a couple of hours. And get up and move around or stand up every couple of hours.

Second on the pre-moistened face cloths, too.

If you can't fly in business class, at least try Economy Plus (or whatever is the equivalent on your airline which you pay slightly more for more legroom) which has more leg room.

They had on-demand inflight entertainment on the back of the seat. They had music, movies, tv shows, etc. I watched the Rolling Stones show from Cuba and then quite a few movies. No problem at all entertaining myself! I also had my laptop and did some work.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Graywings, I used to use L'oreal but my salon carries little packets of "Tan Towel" and those work great. I'm the only one on a 17hr flight who has a glow when we land, LOL.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

You can now download some shows and movies from Netflix onto your tablet. I also bring lots of library books on my tablet! Travelling has gotten a lot lighter for me since e-books! And I get up and go to the bathroom every few hours when it's not bedtime.

i need recovery time on the back end, just a few hours to zone out in my hotel room.

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

I am currently preparing my watching/reading material for an upcoming 12 hour flight myself. I am unable to sleep on a plane, so I do the same as robo - download movies and do lots of reading. In addition to downloading Netflix to view on the plane, you can download from Amazon Prime Video if you have that. Talk about binge watching! You could probably fit in at least the first season of many of the shows if you are into that. I do sometimes listen to an audio book or podcast so I can rest my eyes from all the tablet viewing. My mother takes small hand quilting, knitting or crocheting projects, so if you have a portable hobby, that might work for you.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Forget the Advil PM suggestion above. If you have pain, take whatever OTC pain med that you like. If you want a sleeping aid, take some Benedryl, which is the "PM" component of the pill.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

I've considered bringing my knitting along on the plane, but I figured the needles wouldn't be allowed. Not true?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I am taking notes!

I just got a free trial for audiobooks from Amazon, and have downloaded Carrie Fisher's last book. I can get one more for free, so will have to decide what else I want. I will also put a couple new books on my kindle before we take off. I just started David Sedaris' latest book, which is approx. 7000 pages, so I'm sure I'll still be reading that when we go.

We are flying business class, so hopefully will be comfortable.

Just thought of another idea: those fancy coloring books and a box of colored pencils. A couple of my kids might even enjoy them.

Dressing in layers, good point. Trying to determine which pants are my most comfortable...I guess pajama pants aren't quite appropriate.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

Check out the business class section online - maybe you get a fold down pod??

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Business class on that type of route should def. be a 180 flat bed if it is a US carrier and not a code share. I don't fly overnight if I don't have a flatbed anymore. I can actually arrive totally rested. The problem is the rest of my family stays up all night playing online poker or watching rom-coms; they drive me nuts... you have a BED for goodness sakes, sleep in it! If you ever wonder exactly what type of seat you have, look at SeatGuru.com

Sueb, my DH changes into pajama pants if they don't give them out, and of course several carriers give you pajamas, thought mostly in first. Personally i like yoga pants for the stretch, plus now you have something cute to wear over them!

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

I love Eileen Fisher "system viscose easy pants" for travel. They are SO comfy and have the added benefit of being a nice clothing option to wear while on vacation. I got mine at the Outlet in Burlington, but was just there on Tuesday looking for bargains and walked out sad and empty! But here they are: EF Easy pants in viscose-jersey

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I totally agree with Mtn and the lie-flat seats for long, overnight flights. I must have some sleep. I do not understand staying up all night watching movies or whatever when you can sleep and be at least partially refreshed when landing.

If you are in business class you all will have pillows and decent blankets if you're flying on a major US airline. And plenty to eat and drink, although I would advise limited or no alcohol and lots of water. Stand and walk around frequently as mentioned, and keep busy reading or whatever when you can't sleep.

i also take a pair of stretchy pants, like yoga pants for when I want to sleep and change. I can easily roll them up & keep in my carry on. And use those socks they give you to walk around in the plane. Or keep your own shoes on. No bare feet! Yuck! I also use ear plugs and a mask when I want to sleep to keep out the extraneous noise going on around me.

• nutsaboutplants
    6 years ago

I can't sleep on the plane, even with 12+ hour flights. Other than books, which I read, I've found two tricks in the last 5 years. I usually find a really cool game on the TV monitor. You're likely to find at least a couple that you haven't played before that can keep you challenged and entertained. I've also taken to the coloring book apps on my iPad. They are mesmerizing and some of the intricate mandalas can take over an hour. I find it both relaxing and entertaining.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

If it's a long haul flight in business/first or first on a US carrier, the pillows (most carriers give you 2) are fine ... these are not the standard airline "pillows". That said flying can do a number on your neck so I do like a neck pillow... the buckwheat kind that is very moldable. My feet are always cold on planes so I bring a pair of cute little no show socks ... they take up no space in my bag and they're not as depressingly ugly as the free ones they give you in the amenity kit. However I am fond of the Eyshades in the amenity kit and I use them at home. That way I don't have to buy window treatments, LOL.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

With any luck you will have an agreeable person sitting next to you and can kill an hour chatting. Doesn't work if you are sitting next to the hubs! I just flew in last night on a nine hour flight, business class, lucky me. I ripped a few crosswords and word games out of the paper before I left and they entertained me for awhile. I also completed several levels of Candy Crush and Alphabetty on my iphone. It's also a good time to go through the pictures on your phone and delete those you don't want. I can spend half an hour deciding which movies to watch. FYI, I watched one called Snowman and Harry and rewatched LaLa Land. Download a bunch of podcasts like This American Life and The Moth or a serial call Missing Richard Simmons. Put on your neck pillow and take whatever helps you sleep.

I like the Lufthansa eyeshades, but not American which make a ridge in my hair from the elastic.

i am in total jet lag fog today. Patiently waiting for my brain to get on local time.

• nini804
    6 years ago

Aw, y'all "no alcohol" people take the fun out of it! ;) When DH & I fly we usually get upgraded bc of his "George Clooney" level of status (seriously, he flies almost as much as George in the movie) and the free cocktails keep me amused until they get me sleepy. I do agree that multiple restroom trips are not super fun, though. :)

Until a few years ago I used to only fly once or twice a year, always on a vacay with either just DH or the whole fam, occasionally a girls weekend with friends. I was a terrible, white-knuckle flier.,,DH would alternate between feeling bad for me, laughing at me, or being exasperated w/me bc he absolutely could not understand. He flies weekly. However several years ago my dd advanced to a level in her sport that requires she & I to fly several times a year to compete. From sheer repetition and the need to be the adult, lol, I am now a fully seasoned flier! Weird noises don't cause me to look around at the flight attendants in a panic to see if they look worried. I have also mastered the art of not having to check bags, lol!

I have to disagree with a previous post, though, regarding chatting with seat mates. DH said frequent fliers HATE that. Most people have work, a movie, or a book or they want to sleep. You will notice no one is talking to anyone in business or first class, lol! While I personally wouldn't mind chatting a little, it is awkward to know how to stop, so I find best just to smile & say Hi & open my home decor magazines (I treat myself to several to reward myself for being such a big, grown-up, flier! :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

With 5 of us flying, I'm sure I'll be sandwiched between DH and one of my kids.

I absolutely check the flight attendants' expressions every time there's a dip or a bump. We fly quite a bit, and I'm totally fine until even the slightest bit of turbulence. And with this trip, in a big giant airbus, I will be worried wondering how such a huge plane can actually stay in the air for 14 hours.

I'm thinking yoga pants + tunic + cardigan or wrap/scarf...Bernie Mev flats (comfy even when feet get a little puffy) plus bring cute socks a la Mtn...I've got 3 new books lined up on my kindle plus an audiobook, and I assume I'll find at least one or two movies that I haven't seen on the plane.

Coloring book apps!! I need to look for that.

• auntpetunia
    6 years ago

Podcast recommendation -

If you like NPR -then you may like their podcasts. I like "Wait Wait Don't tell me " and the "NPR Politics podcast". "Pop Culture Happy Hour" and Hidden Brain.

I also like the BBC's "Kermode and Mayo Film reviews"

"Food Stuff" (just two women discussing a particular food)

"You Must Remember This" (old Hollywood- the series on Charles Manson's Hollywood was fascinating

IF you have any interests -there is likely a podcast about it -you can just google podcasts about gardening or whatever and see what comes up. They are free so no harm if you don't like them.

I am a nervous flyer as well. Trying to pack some of my favorite snacks for my upcoming flight. Plus I got a mediation app for my smart phone to do some deep breathing with.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    6 years ago

Ativan - I hate flying and always get a script before flying.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I fly a lot. Not a talker on airplanes. I have to be "on" when I travel for work so the plane is my decompression zone. I put in my headphones even when the iPod is off. Compression socks for flights over three hours.

Long haul flights. Usually I've worked my bum off for two weeks to get ready not to have a work meltdown, so the first hour or so I sit and close my eyes. Then I eat what ever they give me and put on movies to sleep through. Woody Alan movies are great for that because I've seen them all and there isn't a lot of variation in noise level. I prefer watching movies over reading.

i have back and neck issues. So, in all honesty, I take a 5mg muscle relaxant to take the edge off. And yes, I do have a beer or wine. But I also use melatonin when I get there.

Lastly, when I fly I try to leave at the time that will best prepare me for my new time zone. I fly back east between 6 and 7am Pacific. Mastered the cross country overnight trip this way. When going to Europe, my preference is to land late in the afternoon so all I really have to do is eat dinner, shower and sleep. But because we go on miles, that isn't always possible. I'd like to be the person who soldiers through when we get there early, but I'm not.

oh, and about ambien. Flight attendants have a lot of stories about passengers on ambien and I wouldn't want to be any of them.

• westsider40
    6 years ago

Think of turbulence as pot holes in the sky.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

So why do they feel like sink holes? :)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

My longest flight was 36 hours on the last non-jet flight from the Philippines to California traveling with two toddlers. The saving grace for me was to not stress about it because there was nothing I could do to change it. In those days, there were no movies, so I read to the kids, read for myself, and we all slept. Today, I would also read making use of e-books. If you like word games, Scrabble is fantastic for either iPhones, iPads, or Android. Also, a good numbers logic game is - darn can't recall the name of it but it starts with an Sudoku (thanks to westsider40 for the name). In addition, I agree with others about watching movies.

• westsider40
    6 years ago

That too, Blfenton.

Sudoku, Walnut Creek? Sudoku and Gardenweb are the timesuckers of my life. I need a twelve step program.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

You shouldn't feel guilty westsider. Sudoku and Gardenweb are the game night and tea party/coffee klatch of today. We do important group support and bonding here. :). Plus games are good for us.

I wasn't a good passenger on my long flight to Denmark years ago. I wasn't used to drinking and felt sick after 2 drinks. On the way back to Copenhagen from Spain I became very sick with walking Pneumonia and they couldn't wake me up for quite a while.

If I were to travel that distance again I'd divide my time up as suggested by others. I'd take advantage of the confinement and meditate as often as possible plus movies and tons of reading. Punctuated by strolls down the aisle and eating of course. :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

Skipped down - I definitely bring a neck/ring pillow (w/ a case) & earplugs so I can snooze. I like that I can clip it around the strap of my bag, rather than having to carry it. Last long flight I took, even though I had slept adequately, I dozed off for much of the flight.

I try to dress in the most comfortable, soft & stretchy clothing I can w/o looking like I'm in my pajamas. My feet get very cold on a plane, so I wear thick socks & slip on boots.

I also loaded up my iPod w/ podcasts & music too. I like informative, well-produced stuff, so NPR, APM & Gimlet Media's offerings are go-to sources.

Here's a list of some of my faves:

99% Invisible (architecture, design)

Marketplace All-In-One (the economy made fascinating)

Serial (latest is S-town - incredibly compelling, tho dark & maybe too uncomfortable for some people)

Freakonomics ("riddles of everyday life & weird wrinkles of human nature")

On The Media (politics & media critique - not for everyone, I know)

Homecoming ( a psychological thriller in serial form)

Invisibilia (science & our invisible processes - not dry, but fun)

This American Life - of course!

Radiolab - again, of course!

The Moth is truly great for a wide spectrum of compelling personal storytelling

WTF (hundreds of great, deep interviews/conversations w/ all kinds of people - mostly comics, but also actors, directors, musicians & the former president)

The Dinner Party Download (witty culture, food & conversation w/ celebrity guests)

Studio 360 (arts & culture)

I also have Texture on my phone, so I can read magazines w/o having to lug the paper versions around. I understand those seatback pockets are pretty gross, so I avoid touching them & anything they contain (like magazines).

I have Google Drive on my phone as well, & put books & .pdfs of news & magazine articles on it.

I keep solitaire & word games on my phone too - solitaire is rather meditative, IMO.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I'm pretty set in my ways and get a prescription for Lunesta ( hate Ambien as its so druggy). We always fly at night of course for long over eight hours flights and I usually take a pill about a half hour after boarding. I'm "out" a few minutes later. I also take a lunesta the first few nights of vacation to help me adjust to the time change. I wake up with no side effects and skip through my day ^v^v^v^. I used to get steroid shots and that little packet with 6 or 7 pills before leaving as I tend to get sciatica in my right leg after sitting for long periods. The sciatica isn't bothering me at the moment so I think I'll skip it this time. The first few times I did long flights without lunesta I was tired but could not sleep on a plane. I am miserable to be around if I haven't had sleep. The more tired I became the less I could get caught up. Not good for anyone so it's Lunesta for me.

• Renovator Girl
    6 years ago

* Travel deodorant. We took a loooong flight and were really smelly at the end because our deodorant had worn off.

* Agree on the small sewing/craft project. You can make quite a dent in small repairs on long flights. I once repaired my outfit for a rehearsal dinner on the flight to the wedding.

* Pro ebook tip: you can stack up all your guidebooks for the trip on your e-reader, then do some planning on the way over. I like the Rough Guides because they have a lot of detail and include sights the main guides miss.

* Some airlines have a proprietary app for accessing their entertainment content on your devices. Download it and get things set up BEFORE you get on the plane.

* Think about downloading some movies etc. set in your destination. OR movies you've been wanting to see.

* On the way home, put your thank-you notes and stamps into your carryon.

• Renovator Girl
    6 years ago

If you use an online photo service, you could also upload your photos (assuming your airline has Internet access) on the way home.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

Thought I'd share this for anyone who has a fear of flying. I took this online course before taking a transatlantic flight years ago, and it was very helpful to me. I even corresponded with the author, who was extremely kind and reassuring. This was before 9/11 and he encouraged me to ask the flight attendant if I could speak to the pilots in the cockpit as I was boarding, saying that I was a nervous flyer seeking some reassurance. I did, and was allowed into the cockpit to meet the crew that was flying us to London. They were so understanding and gracious, and put my fears to rest for the most part. Of course, that sort of thing is all in the past now and will not ever happen again, but I was touched that Captain Chance (the author) cared enough to advise me to do such a thing. I would not have had the "audacity" to ask on my own.

Here's the link to the Fear of Flying Free Help Course for anyone who might be interested.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great lists! I hope others are benefitting from the information here as well!

Got the apps for This American Life and The Moth now on my phone. I think I will have plenty of stuff to do/listen to! Also got a coloring book app on my iPad.

And I have ordered compression socks!

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

IdaClaire, I was just looking at the TSA list for what is allowed, and I double checked knitting needles..... they ARE allowed in carry on bags. My mother swore she took her knitting and I guess she did! ;)

• mercurygirl
    6 years ago

Not a lover of flying/riding here, but foreseeing more travel in the near future, I'd just like to thank everyone for the helpful information!

MG

• rubyclaire
    6 years ago

Chiming in to say thank you for all these great tips - I know I will now always bring a tanning towel, compression socks and upgrade to business class or better whenever I can :).

carol_b: I am curious about the Texture app. Do you find you use it routinely or just when traveling? I'm would love to learn more from those who use the app.

Ida: I am still a nervous flier. I will sometimes take a little anti-anxiety med to take the edge off. And watch the flight attendants like a hawk :). However, I recently had the opportunity to fly on a private corporate jet and found the ability to chat with the crew and briefly sit in the cockpit (jump seat) to see how things work extremely comforting! For me, I think it is a control thing and I need information. Best flight ever. If I could always travel by G5, I think it would be a piece of cake.

But since I will usually be in coach, these tips will come in very handy...thanks!!

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Safety - Healthcare vs. Airlines

L. Leape, MD, Harvard School of Public Health 2012

• hhireno
    6 years ago

Do not check the time - seriously. Remove your watch, don't look at your cell phone. It doesn't help to know the time, you'll just find out there are still hours and hours to go. They will let you know when it's time to put your seat in the upright position and your tray table up. Then you locate your shoes and get ready to disembark.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

Waiting for a cross country flight now and I forgot two things.

1. This is the best neck pillow because it keeps your head from falling forward.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8729818929156686830?lsf=seller:7815,store:18003071265997860377&prds=oid:11356431150862196693&q=full+neck+travel+brace&hl=en&ei=SA9JWenLFcWAjwPqzIeQAw&lsft=gclid:CNG1sPGwzNQCFQSVfgod8kkEtQ

2. My doctor says in addition to compression socks, take a baby aspirin. Sometimes I also take a Sudafed to keep my ears clear.

that is all. :)

• hhireno
    6 years ago

I have that ^^^very neck pillow. It is great for use on planes, trains, and automobiles. It's more compact than those U-shaped ones, I carry mine in a quart (?) sized ziplock baggie.

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I was just visiting my daughter and she has theTrtl "pillow" neck support. She said that it worked very well on her last flight from LAX to Europe. It folds down very compactly.

The pillow that I love, and have been able to sleep with the best isthis one. It gives me great support, even when I'm don't have a window to rest against. The only downside is that it takes up a bit of room in my carry on.

I have also used theTravelRest pillow with success, but I find that I have to fuss with it more.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

A good friend of mine knits while travelling. For the first few years after 9/11, she was unable to use knitting needles, but now people can do so.

Ambien. I've never tried the stuff, but I've heard so many stories of diverse reactions, l certainly wouldn't want to experiment in the air.

Alcohol. If you can handle a drink or three on the ground, go ahead, but note that high altitudes will make the stuff go to one's head much faster than on the ground. Cut yourself off sooner.

Unless you like airplane toilets, cutting back on diuretics may be indicated. Although, yes, it's a good excuse to get up and move occasionally.

If you are sensitive to any foods, avoid those.

Those compression socks sound like an excellent idea!

Reading material is essential. A magazine or two, a paperback, an e-reader...

I'm not afraid of flying (momentary holding of breath as we take off and land aside). My problem is the extreme discomfort at being folded into seats not meant for tall people with bad knees. Hence I always aim to get aisle seating. Since my last flight, I now have a bad ankle. At any rate, due to my size and leg issues, it is impossible for me to sleep on planes. I suspect not even morphine would do it... i do try to sneak a leg into an edge of that aisle where it won't trip anyone, and drowse a bit, but that trolley (which needs the full aisle) comes by every 30 minutes! At 2 am, really???