SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frederikshriver

Where do all those tomato plants come from?

Hi everybody (hi Dr. Nick!),

I have 5 pots where I hope to grow cherry tomatoes just like last year, it was very fun and easy.

So in late May 2017, I dropped 2-3 seeds dead center in a hole, with black gardening soil mixed with my own compost around 75/25 ratio.

After a week, I might have been too impatient to not see sprouts and thought I planted too deep. So I replanted them again, 2-3 seeds, almost at their surface and now two weeks, each of my pot might have too many young tomato shoots, much more than I planted! Where did the "excess" plants come from? They were all around the pot too!

Judging from the pictures, I should take out but one plant of them all, yes?

Also, in the biggest pot, it seems like sunflowers kept growing like weed! Like a newbie, I didn't know they were sunflowers and I just threw them away like they were weed. I didn't plant ANY sunflower in the pot but having a bird feeder close to the pots, I suspect that a squirrel stashed some dropped seeds but it kept growing, it couldn't have planted that much! Again a gardening mystery...

Speaking of sunflowers, it'll be my first year growing those really nice plants. Looking at the last pic, unless they're NOT sunflowers, what should I do with the grown ones since I'm using the pots for tomatoes? I also planted some directly in soil and I'm surprised that only 50% managed to sprout even though when some were planted in nicely tilled and composted weed-free soil while the sprouted ones grew in soil that was just aired and surrounded by nasty weeds!

Last question is living in zone 5b, are my tomatoes at a good size now that we're in mid June 2017? Did I plant them too late?

Thank you!

Comments (8)