SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fastink

Some Hybrid questions for Diploids

FastInk
6 years ago

A bit of a backstory, this will be my 2nd year making crosses with diploids, I started mainly cause I only had a few cultivars (about 10) and wanted to get more strains, plus always had a fascination with this sorta thing and have been trying to go about hybridizing somewhat scientifically in order to determine outcomes from various crosses. Using dips cause that's what I already have :)

Seeing as I'm still waiting for my first seedlings to bloom I'm considering which crosses to make this year and am wondering if I should go about it a bit differently. First year I crossed every dayliliy I had every which way, again, so that I might be able to see a possible trend in what genetics get passed on. With that said a few questions on dips.

1-Is there any genetic difference with the pod parent? For example a1daylily x a2daylily VS a2daylily x a1daylily. It's the exact same cross, just a different pod parent. I'm thinking the pod parent would have a better chance of passing down certain genes, or for that matter the pollen parent, but which?

2-Should I stick to my "scientific approach" and keep looking for trends using multiple cultivars or should I just focus on a few cultivars and hope for luck with mass crosses between a few strains? (Later down the road I'll definitely be focusing my efforts more once the results are in)

3-I know hybridizers produce 1000s to get a desired result, but what sorta odds are in it for the hobbyist who just wants to say, imprint a pattern from one color to the next, or get an already established color but with a different bloom time, I mean I'm not trying to hybridize for the color blue, or go for anything extreme, Basically stuff that has already been done. Are my chances good?

4- Crossing for color variations intrigue me. I read up on this and am finding tets work different here. Any tips?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths