SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin98

White mould on brand new rattlesnake calathea

robin98
6 years ago

Impulse buy about a fortnight ago which is still in its original pot and soil. The mix is that really dense peaty stuff that nurseries seem to use, but it also looks like there's some sort of netting fabric just around the roots. To keep it extra soggy I guess.

Since home it's had one rinse off & flush through in the shower followed by dilute Dynagro FP, and two sprays a few days apart with an alcohol/water/neem/insectical soap recipe I got from this forum, because I'm really sick of bringing bugs home with new plants.

But as you can hopefully see from the photos the soil surface has patches of what looks like mould, some fuzzy some not. What can I do about this? I know neem has some fungicidal properties but that would mean dampening the surface - would that cancel out any benefit? How about cinnamon?

It's not ideal repotting time here in NZ (start of winter) but maybe it has to be done anyway. Even if the mix was okay the roots are coming through the bottom drain holes. The pot feels quite light again - hopefully all those roots are sucking up any moisture and drying it out. Humidity inside is around 50%, temperature 19-24 C (about 75 F)

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Comments (26)