Coconut flour shelf life?

writersblock (9b/10a)

When cleaning out the fridge I found an unopened, sealed plastic bag of coconut flour that must be about 10 mos old lurking in the back of the bottom shelf.

Do you think it would be usable or should I just pitch it?

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookebook

I found this. I didn't know it should be refrigerated:

Nut and Alternative Flours

Like whole grain flours, nut and these alternative flours have high levels of oils, making them more subject to oxidation and rancidity.

• Types: Nut meals and flours (such as almond or hazelnut), coconut flour, wheat germ, rice bran, flaxseed meal, hemp seeds
  • Storage: Refrigerator or freezer, preferably the freezer.
  • Shelf Life: 6 months in the refrigerator, 12 months in the freezer
  • Is It Still Good? The flour should smell sweet and nutty. If it tastes bitter, it's gone bad.
1 Like Save     Thanked by writersblock (9b/10a)
season55

I agree with cookebook. Does it smell good? I've used coconut flour that was 8 months old that was stored in the pantry, so I'm pretty sure it's fine, but smell it first.

writersblock (9b/10a)

Thanks, cookebooke and season55!

Save    
cookebook

I have a bag that is at least two years old and has NOT been refrigerated. But I'm still alive lol

season55

Lol! I too had coconut flour for over 1-1/2 years, and I didn't even know that you were suppost to refrigerate coconut flour! I used it in cookies.

writersblock (9b/10a)

Well, it gets pretty hot here in the summers. Last summer when the A/C died, during the 3 weeks before the replacement was finished it was 86º in here when I woke up in the morning and got progressively hotter all day. Anything that wasn't refrigerated, including nuts, went rancid. I had to throw out heaps of stuff, including a lot of spices.

Save    
annie1992

Hmmm. Reminds me that I have a bag of it in the freezer, as well as a bag of almond flour/meal. I suppose I ought to check those.....

Annie

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing Want to Streamline Your Life? Get a System
Reduce stress and free up more time for the things that really matter by establishing specific procedures for everyday tasks
Full Story
Kitchen Design 7 Steps to Pantry Perfection
Learn from one homeowner’s plan to reorganize her pantry for real life
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story