SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

The June 2017 Version of My Hosta Walk (Back Garden)

hostanista
6 years ago

A couple of Fortunei Aureomarginatas and huge Elegans lead you down the stone steps to the wood chip paths. There were a number of these, plus plenty of Royal Standard hostas, hidden under cedar hedges and planted willy-nilly on this property before my arrival 5 and a half years ago, although these pathways didn't exist. I've moved and split the hostas to suit, and of course, added a million more since.

Climax (planted in 2014) greets you at the fork in the road. She is surrounded by wild strawberries (not my doing) although I don't seem to ever get any strawberries. Either it's too shady for them to actually fruit, or the squirrels get them before me.

Clockwise from left: Pizzazz, London Fog, Blue Angel, Inniswood (planted 2013) are neighbors for the newly added Forbidden Fruit (2017).

At the boulders is Lizard Lick and Fortunei Albomarginata (with ferns and endless buttercups). Below the boulders clockwise from left is Parhelion, Awakening Angel, Striptease and Moonlight Sonata (planted in 2014 and 2015). You can see I ripped out dozens of buttercups between Moonlight Sonata and Striptease. It's a losing battle!

August Moon (2013) and Empress Wu (2012) share the spotlight with columbines. The groundcover is nothing more than a wild type of geranium "weed" called Herb Robert also known as Stinky Bob.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES