SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

More Room For Hosta...South of I-10 version

User
10 years ago

Gaining a spot where shade from the afternoon sun is not an issue can be a problem. I had thought about this flower bed on the south side of our driveway for a while, but it was the wild spot in our garden.

Over the last week or so, DH has become a digger of tree roots, and briar roots, and now there is a section of the 16 x 55 foot bed which can safely be planted with some sun tolerant hosta. I say SUN tolerant, not SHADE tolerant, because in this zone, they require more shade and can tolerate less sun.

The shots I include here I took this morning. I need to show the sun pattern on the bed late this afternoon. In fact, yesterday I sat on the steps for a good hour or more, contemplating just how much more exposure to the sun any hosta might get that would be greater than the bed gets this week. The longest day of the year arrives in about two weeks, so how much further will the shade recede along this driveway bed, and how much more heat will the cement driveway radiate into the bed? And what can I plant to grow tall that will be located in the perfect spot to provide the shade for hosta closer to the street.

Here are the pictures of the bed. Trash pick up next Tuesday will remove these neatly packed bags, courtesy of DH.

Right now, this is as far as I can plant hosta in the bed. Beyond here is too much afternoon sun with no shade.

Now for the hosta that I am imagining in this bed...
My Sum & Substance...growing in a pot this last year, I think it needs the space. Put it down towards the tub of asparagus fern, two nicely yellow/green large plantings. It can take more sun than most I think. Its grown a lot since this was taken in May.

Since the space tends to be shadowy and it's a darker corner closer to the fences, I am thinking some of my gold centers, with dark green margins, and white margins as well. I definitely want to put the Undulata Albomarginata back in solid ground, to help it get its groove back

I'm also thinking something with heavy substance to take the punishment this bed is likely to give any hosta. Something like.... Dick Ward? Brother Stefan? Faith? I have 2 of each of those, except Dick Ward, will have to buy another of him. :)
Especially thinking Brother Stefan, since I'll have to separate a sport off and might as well disturb only one plant.
Brother Stefan w/sport?

Dick Ward, one of my 2010 purchases so it is almost mature. Should I give it a chance to get huge? Or keep it safe and not set it back by moving it now? Put the new baby DWard when I get it?

And Faith. I got it in 2012, but it is busting out of its pot, and looks really crowded. It would be a gold with lots of substance, trying to act mature already.

Do you reckon I could sneak in one of my species plantaginea?
Their nice medium green shiny leaf and then the blooms....ahh, the BLOOMS....they'll make a hit with the neighbors who walk, I'm sure. I will put one of the 8 species p. in the area, definitely not my Mama plant.

Come to think of it, this is my chance to get an Empress Wu!!!
Oh joy, dancing in the streets! WU-HOOOOO!!! So....where can I likely get the VERY LARGEST WU at this time of year?

Thanks for sticking with me through this long rambling post.
Almost time to go watch the shadows move across the bed again. :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!