SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rainlessinreno

The dark side of soil improvement (trigger warning: urine)

rainlessinreno
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So my soil is holding moisture now, finally (hooray for woodchips!). At last, it is suitable earthworm habitat, having so much more organic matter than when I moved in. I've removed a lot of rocks, too. It's been a real fight with my neglected, urban, eroded, high desert soil, but I've made a real positive difference. I've been moving away from containers and raised beds, planting more and more directly in the ground, going for those root exudates, y'know?

And what do I get for this? Moles. What I get is moles, tunneling around the nice, soft, damp soil, gorging themselves on earthworms.

I've been Googling DIY options, and see a lot of suggestions to deploy used cat litter into the holes. Well, that is something I just happen to have. There are also suggestions involving coffee grounds - check - and human urine - also, check. Some potential solutions involve combinations of all three. Why yes, I do already have a bucket of used pine litter and coffee grounds, topped off with human urine. This pot o'gold was supposed to be starter material for a (separate from my main pile!) larger container to work on over the summer with which to amend my lawn in the fall, as I have had good results with similar. But critter reduction has priority , no question. And so far, they are not too close to the veggies. I have zero compunctions about using those bucket contents near growing vegetables, but I have decided it is not fair to apply amendments I'm not willing to discuss at the dinner table with the people to whom I am feeding dinner from my garden, so I don't.

I didn't even know this region had moles, sheesh.

And they showed up right after I realized I want to try no-till.

Comments (16)