SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_terrilynn

As we age...going from dark hair to light. Have you?

just_terrilynn
6 years ago

I was born with hair so black it was almost blue. As I aged it turned more very dark brown. Fast forward to very dark brown hair with lots of bright white unless I touch it up every week. I'm sick of it!!! Last time I went to the hairdresser I had a few highlights put in to distract from any white I may have missed on my maintanince. Now I'm thinking I want to go even lighter on my base color and lighter still on my highlights.

This is a big move. Anyone one else made such a drastic change and are you happy with it?

Comments (63)

• czarinalex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I was golden blonde as a kid until about age 10 when my hair started to turn brown. Stayed light brown throughout my 30's and 40's. Summer always brings out my blonde highlights... if I really spend a lot of time in the sun, it gets very blonde. I'm 59 and the grey is coming in pretty strong. In the last 10 years, my hair is also getting darker. Dark hair really doesn't look like me though... so I've been going lighter. Right now my hair is lighter than it's ever been. I like it.

just_terrilynn thanked czarinalex
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lukk, weird your post was not there when I posted just below you. I wasn't thinking of trying on light hair wigs to wear. I was thinking to try on to see what I would look like in a light shade.

Since everyone my age is older than me I'm just not ready to give in to all natural hair : )

About my dark hair...I always liked it when younger but now I'm not so attached. My sister is five years younger. When we were kids we looked nothing alike. Honestly, you couldn't even tell we were related. It's weird but over the last couple of years we are looking more and more alike. She had light/mid tone brown hair but has been dying it my darker shade. It just looks too harsh in pictures. Our skin tone is about the same. I'm thinking if it makes her look older I must look ancient.

• Related Discussions

Do you have the pet-hair Roomba?

Q

Comments (11)
    I posted this last year when someone else asked the same question. ............ My lab just ignores the Roomba. She likes to lay on the throw rug and totally ignores it when it bumps into her. The only problem we had was that she learned to touch the big green ON/OFF button with her nose while it's running and then it turns off. I had to cover the button with a piece of black plastic so that she doesn't see it. If you want a good laugh just go on you Tube and google Roomba and dogs or cats...there are some really funny videos to watch. As for the Roomba..... It works really well on tile. It works OK on carpets. Just know that it isn't going to remove dirt that's down between the carpet fibers. The surface will look fine- it will pick up dog hair, threads and other noticeable dirt but it doesn't have the suction power or strong brushes to thoroughly clean rugs. My model is a 700 series. The other issue I have - and it might not be a problem for you - is that my kitchen floor is ceramic and my throw rugs are fairly thick. As it vacuums the little sweeper brush sweeps the dirt onto the floor and the Roomba leaves a perimeter of dirt around the area rugs. One wheel of the Roomba is on the tile and the other is slightly higher on the rug and the Roomba doesn't have a strong enough suction to suck up the dirt. So I now roll up all my throw rugs so that the Roomba can do the entire floor. It does take significantly longer for the Roomba to vacuum than if you simply ran the sweeper yourself. It isn't very quiet and the noise can get annoying if you're sitting in the same room. You can always turn it on and leave the room or better yet - leave the house. It is handy at getting under beds. I place it in the bedroom, shut the door and let it vacuum away. I have to remember to roll up my one throw rug that has long, thin fringe or the small sweeper foot on the Roomba will get tangled it in. You do need to clean it regularly - the dirt bin is small and fills quickly and you also have to clean the brushes, wheels and air filters.
    ...See More

Update...We have arrived on the Dark Side!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh, I am SO jealous. Just beautiful-I love soapstone and it is on my list of wants!
    ...See More

low-light northern exposure room making me lose my hair

Q

Comments (28)
    Flyleft I have the same kind of room in my house. Low light, northern exposure and I live on the Gulf Coast! It's sunnier than crap here almost all of the time, but we wouldn't know that from this room and it's our main living area. After testing all kinds of colors I ended up going with a medium grey. Nothing else looked good in this weird light. It uses the White Base with only raw umber as the colorant. I'm definitely affected by light conditions and it was a relief when I finally painted the room from the "light switch beige" it was before. I always steered clear of grey because I thought it was depressing, imagine my surprise! I used deep tones in my kitchen (peacock/marine blue) and dining (an almost black, blue). The Gamma Grey is a nice buffer. It's a very close match to SW 7065 (Argos). Walkin's suggestion to add shimmer to the paint sounds fantastic. Autumnal paint colors, whites, and beiges don't look good in my light conditions. I do have an orange couch and have a lot of those fall colors in my art and accessories.
    ...See More

Wall Unit - Should we go light or dark?

Q

Comments (14)
    Andee - THe unit is 1'6" deep at the right end, and 1'3" deep at the left/tv end. The fireplace has two columns flanking it that are the same depth as the left side of the unit where it meets, so there will be an easy transition point there. Not sure what we'll do with the hearth edge yet... Looks like the consensus is for dark. I think it will work! We also have a dark desk/pantry area on the wall, so when you're looking from the island you'll see a dark wall unit and this dark cabinetry which will relate nicely. Thanks everyone, you made the decision much easier!!!
    ...See More
  • yeonassky
    6 years ago

I was born with blonde hair, which turned fairly dark brown as a young woman. Starting at 50, I have now got grey streaks at my temples and a few random grey strands throughout my hair. I have never covered the grey. Fear of chemicals, chicken ness and too much adherence to the natural look are my convoluted reasons. Of course the jury's still out on whether I will give in to the colouring world. I love colour. :)

just_terrilynn thanked yeonassky
  • User
    6 years ago

Oh! Ha! Ok, I'm a dork! I hadn't even considered that about the wigs! Ha! What you're saying makes sense though; just like light with paint colors, I guess skin tone would play a big part in how any color of hair would look on someone.

It's good that you've already asked about it from someone who knows you and your hair and the response was positive. Now I'm hoping you'll post a pic after it's done!

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I was blonde as a kid, dirty blonde as a teen, and have been highlighting it since college. I kept having them add more highlights and then decided it was too light and started to do lowlights about a decade ago. I can't imagine myself anything but dirty blonde, which my Mom has been her whole life, too.

It can be pretty drastic to change! Good luck.

just_terrilynn thanked MtnRdRedux
  • DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

Natural color was dark brown with dark caramel highlights. Started graying in my mid 20's, coloring with semi permanent color by 28, permanent color by 35. By age 50 I was close to 75% gray (most in front and sides) but my stylist discouraged me from growing it out saying my skin and attitude are young and the gray would age me. Hated being a slave to my color and the inevitable stripe every 3 weeks with fast growing hair and decided to grow it out last fall at age 62. Went as long as I could without touching up my roots (7-8 weeks) except for the temporary powder, New state, new stylist, told him to put in tiny gray highlights, want them VERY inconspicuous and scattered everywhere. Went back for more 3 weeks after that and at that time he recommended doing an ash-ish toner to knock back the gold which was popping out in contrast to the silver/white - not a good look on me. I absolutely love it and get compliments everywhere - people literally stop me in stores and on the street! It looks like a reverse ombre. Now I do the toner on my own. It's probably about 70 - 80% grown out now (hair is layered and below my shoulders), the ash brown ends are slowly disappearing. When it's all done if for some reason I decide it's too much silver/white I'll have him add in tiny ash brown highlights to add depth. But I'm betting I won't need to. The hardest part is making the decision and starting. Oh - and don't forget to change your makeup - you'll likely need different colors.

just_terrilynn thanked DLM2000-GW
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

DLM, could you post a picture?

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah I want to see a picture as well DLM. It sounds cool but I'm having a hard time picturing what you describe.

Yes, a bit worried about the drastic change. I'm glad my stylist could get me in tomorrow because that way I'll have a few weeks to acclimate or not before vacation.

• DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

Covered in paint and sawdust and have nothing remotely current but I'll work on it tomorrow (shhhh I'm supposed to be working but keep taking breaks).

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 years ago
    • As a child I too had the very dark black hair. I had a random grey hair in my early 40s. Now at 60, I am probably 50/50. My white hairs are the blindly white and shiny kind so it looks very attractive (or so people say!). i use the purple shampoo and do get a lot of compliments on it. I do feel though that as my hair has lighten, even though my "season" hasn't changed, I do look better in different colors than when I was younger.
    • I was lucky enough to have stylists that never wanted me to color my hair and said things like "Girl people kill for hair like yours!"
    • Not sure what I did to get the bullet points but it is kind of fun
    • I may regret not coloring my hair as my DD gets married this fall and her MIL is 10 years younger than me (shh-but I look better)
    just_terrilynn thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

I wish my hair would go silver! It just keeps darkening as I age, w/ coarse colorless hairs scattered randomly throughout = (

I had honey colored hair when I was young - probly from being in the FL sun all the time.

just_terrilynn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • susanzone5 (NY)
    6 years ago

I colored my hair for 6 months and then just accepted my gray. I don't want to be a slave to coloring and chemicals and clean-up just because the magazines say I am not attractive with my NATURAL LOOK. Will women ever stop trying to look different than who they are? Love yourself.

just_terrilynn thanked susanzone5 (NY)
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love myself better with hair color hehe. In a few years I may change my mind though. I do hate the maintenance involved.

My gray hair looks like the shiny part of tinfoil. The strands are thick like fishing line. I could come in handy if deserted with a few others and if water was near.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

I have raven black hair almost blue black. Mine has not changed colors but I have been getting some beautiful silver around my face. I like the way it's coming in and get lots of compliments. So no coloring for me. All natural. My dad never had a single white hair his stayed blue black till the end. Mom had black hair too but she did get silver.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

My 91 YO fil has zero gray hair . DH took after his mom who was completely white in her early 50s

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I would be salt and pepper, like both my parents. Not really a good look for me. I was lucky to not have to start coloring until my late forties.

That said, I do resent having to color it. I have a single process and haircut and it takes about 2 hours.

But getting back to the OP question, I have gone from a darker brown which was my original color, to a lighter shade of brown. Brown tends to oxidize and it does gt lighter and more red as the weeks go by.

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

I am getting more and more gray/white around my hairline around my face, so I am listening in.

My mother's hair was a beautiful platinum color, and she eventually stopped coloring it from encouragement of her stylists.

DH is getting more and more gray through the top of his head, and it's even starting to bother him. His hair is sandy blond, so it does blend in pretty well, and I only really notice it in bright lights. But it does bother him a little. He has super sensitive skin, so I'm not sure coloring for him is even an option.

• westsider40
    6 years ago

I was born with black hair which lightened considerably. As a kid, it was light to medium brown. I made it black at 18 and then went thru a red phase, but I have been a light blonde since my early twenties. I have fair skin and liked all the looks I had. Fun. Still blonde and as I've confessed, I am technically (and really) old. I'm staying blonde altho I am all mixed gray now with awful texture. Very kinky. My 7.5 years younger dh has white hair with no wrinkles and he would never consider color. He has pretty white hair.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I do think one should take nature's lead. Meaning our hair lightens as we age. The debate is when do we totally give ourselves over to NATURE. As a strawberry blonde I became very accustomed to being the odd one out. In my 40's without my noticing the red faded and new people meeting me did not recognize me as "a red head". I had been told red heads often turn brown vs gray. LIE. One strong look at a picture told me I NEEDED to go back to the way God made me, ORIGINALLY. Fast forward to almost 60 and THAT red is too strong of a color for me now. It is one thing to fight the OLD look it is another to scream "I am holding onto my 30s with EVERYTHING I've got"!!! I didn't want to be THAT person.I recently switched to a more blonde red and it really softened things and looks more "natural", for my age. It is easy to say but those with beautiful silver/white/gray hair count yourself blessed and embrace it. One look at my sister who went all gray and I know I am going to keep fighting it a few more years, we weren't all gifted with beautiful gray!!!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    6 years ago

I was blonde until about 13 or 14. Then I was naturally dish-water and eventually ash brown but I always colored my hair to keep it lighter until I was in my mid 30s. I started going darker to stay closer to my natural color using low and high-lights to mix in the grey and to avoid the dreaded striped. We added a toner to my highlights this last time to give my hair a bit more ash and I really like it.

I like blonde but only if done by a professional (expensive blonde). I see too many older women with cheap all over box-blonde hair (my mother) who I think would look better and younger if they put down the drug store Clairol and just had highlights and embraced the more natural color that they have.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Arcy makes a good point about HOW to go lighter.

I have a friend who had jet black hair. People thought she dyed it that color. When she started to go gray, she turned herself into a blond. She has beautiful blue eyes and one would think that this would be a good look for her, but it really isn't.

Rory, so true about the "box of blonde." My SIL does hers and often times the color is uneven. I thought she had a bad stylist until I found out she did it herself, which of course now makes sense to me.

• DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

Ok - justerrilynn and eld6161 - here's the transition.

"Natural color" although at 55 I was 75% gray and upkeep for this was a PITA

Grown out quite a bit here, gray highlights in and toner - notice the brows are brown - it was this pic that made me realize I needed charcoal brows and I also started wearing a pink/red lip stain at this point.

And the last 2 are from today, one inside and one outside. The ends are very champagne color now which I hate - time for toner but I'm overdue for a cut and there won't be much left of the ends so may wait. I'm pretty shocked at the color difference inside to outside, I must say!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 years ago

DLM--I love it! What a stunning color. SO happy when I see other people embrace the grey.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

Mine has always been dark brown but I have lightened it as I've gotten older. The gray is definitely coming in and I'm not ready to go there yet. My hairdresser highlights it with caramel and chestnut tones. It definitely lightens up considerably more in the sun. Here is a picture from a couple weeks ago when she started playing with wedding hairstyles.

( I think it is much richer looking than it looks in this picture. They have fluorescent lights )

ETA – posted at the same time as DLM. Oh my gosh! You have beautiful hair!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

DLM, your hair is beautiful!

• Kitchenwitch111
    6 years ago

I was born a brunette, and even in high school I had grey
    streaks in my hair. I’ve been coloring it to cover the grey since my early 30’s.
    It wouldn’t take more than 3 weeks for the “skunk streak” in my part to show and
    I started getting highlights to minimize it, but about 6 years ago I went completely
    blonde and I feel a little like I got a new life! Both my sisters were born
    blonde, so my fair coloring went with it and even though my daughter is a
    professional colorist, I usually take care of my roots myself at home, using
    professional hair color that my daughter gets for me. A few times a year I have
    her do highlights and lowlights. Even at 62 I am not ready to go silver, but I will
    eventually. One downside to going blonde later in life is that many of my girlfriends
    have also gone blonde so we are starting to all look the same.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

I have dark brown hair. Dark brown hair with some grey. Mid 50's, so not ready to "go for the grey". My younger sister just did so this year! She has more grey than I do, but it is a pretty shade. I told her people can think she is the older sibling now. LOL I color my hair - but because my hair really soaks up the color, I use light brown and every so often, light golden brown. My gray in most places is just strands (other than temples), and in strong light, it looks kind of like my hair is highlighted. You cannot use hair color the true color of my hair (which is why I do it myself) because it comes out shoe polish black. Honestly. I have explained this to several hairdressers, but they do not believe me and I've come out with unnatural looking BLACK hair. I would love to do something along the line of Robo's hair! I'm going to show your picture and your response to the gal that does my hair now and this may be something to do in the future. I don't want to go too light. My sister's grey is a good bit of a deeper, charcoal color along with some lighter. Hopefully mine will be too!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Kitchenwitch, a friend of mine's Dh asks, "How come the guys are getting grayer but the wives are getting blonder?"

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Love the colors and styles pictured! I am originally dark brown but about 90% grey now, and at 51 not ready to be grey yet - I think my grey won't look very good with my yellow toned skin. I see my hair guy for touch ups every 4 weeks, but I already see white roots by 7-8 days. I frequently touch up with root temporary concealing products and two times in between professional color I use Clairol Root Touch Up. My stylist said I will need to go lighter, toward blonde, when I'm ready to transition to grey. Not looking forward to the process! I may just do a buzz cut and move the transition along a little faster. ;)

• westsider40
    6 years ago

DLM and Jo, you have beautiful heads of hair.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I have mousey brown hair with just the beginnings of graying at the temples. And it is quite thin and limp as well. My sister - only a couple of years older - has beautiful salt and pepper gray all over and with wonderful body!

I have my hair highlighted (two tones - blond and caramel) every 7 weeks and it both hides the gray, brightens my appearance and adds a great deal of body. I also wear my hair quite short, which helps as well. I have been using the same stylist for more than 25 years and she knows me and my hair very well - I trust her completely.

I think hair is very individual both in coloring and texture - confirmed by the huge difference between my sister and myself - and you have to work out what works best for you. I would love to not do so much work chemically to my hair but it would look just flat and limp and lifeless without the routine coloring.

• robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

I will say that leaving grey just WILL make you read older to the average observer. I'm ok with that. But my 40yo friend who has beautifully unlined plump skin, youthful eyes and a head of grey hair was recently asked if she wanted the seniors' discount by a teenager and it was severely traumatizing for her. And my godchild asked why I look so much older than her mom when we're the same age (her mom is lovely, dyes hair and wears makeup). Although I'm hoping this grey hair trend will help!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

At the salon now getting an after color conditioner. Haven't had the cut yet. My hairstylist said we would have to go lighter gradually so as not to damage my hair. But wow is it light, lighter than I was expecting after being told it would be a gradual thing. I'll be back later with a picture.

Thank you for sharing the hair pictures ladies.

Jojo, you have such pretty hair!

DLM, now I can see why you get so many compliments!

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

I'd say my hair has faded as I've grown older rather than turning gray. It is now a mousy brown. I've tried to go a bit lighter--a golden brown--but it just doesn't look good on me, despite the fact that I have fair skin and blue eyes. So I went back to a medium brown and color it myself once a month, more due to being a cheap skate than anything. I use a Clairol Preference "High Lift" color.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

DLM, the red lipstick is ok but I think the black eyeliner is a bit heavy.

;-)

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

DLM and jojoco, love your hair!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay...here it is. I think I like it but need a few days to get used to it. This morning I had my husband laughing after I asked him who I reminded him of (my hair was standing straight up). He gave me a blank look. I said, pretend I'm fixing a car. He said, oh Edd China from Wheeler Dealers hahahahaha! Anyway, my before picture isn't how I actually walked around. I did flip it around a bit but was growing it out for a new cut. I won't show the front shot because it really dragged my face down.

Edd China below.

The pool has really messed with my hair over the last few months. In a few weeks I will go back to get the ends clipped before vacation.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Nice cut and color!

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Looks good Jt

• maddielee
    6 years ago

I really like it! (I've been thinking about doing the same, your pics may have convinced me to take the leap.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Looks nice. Glad you decided. I can't help as I've never colored my hair, ever. Not even as a teen. I have started using the shampoo bar soap and notice that my hair seems blonder now. I'm fortunate as whatever little gray I have seems to look more like light blonde than gray....not bad for a gal in her 60s.

• PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

My mom had dark brown hair growing up, but when she was in her 40's she started getting grey around her face, so she went blonde. I never thought it was a drastic change. But she loved it because it worked hiding the grey highlights. Now that she is in her 70's, she has allowed it to go, what I like to call silver. It's really beautiful!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! I keep going back and forth on like and not sure. I think after I learn how to fix it my way where it will look a bit messier and less wiggy I'll like it just fine. My son said he thought it made me look a little older. Yikes! So, that is haunting me. I do think it just needs a little rebel Terri touch.

Annie you are so lucky to have that hair!

PLF, my mom had pretty gray hair. I'm not ready yet but when the time comes it will be nice not to have to put chemicals on my head.

• DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

justerri - our kids are always our harshest critics, aren't they? He's reacting to the change like a typical kid - we are never supposed to change in their eyes! It looks cute and I agree needs a personal, less 'wiggy' hand!! I'm going to guess that after more summer sun and pool time, you'll be looking for a tone. If your hair is anything like mine - sun and beaches always made whatever color I had go dark brassy.

Edit: ....you'll be looking for a toner, not a tone!

• jill302
    6 years ago

Your new cut and color look great! Trying to make the same decision. Have medium brown hair, according to my stylist I about 70% gray, but the distribution of the gray is not even. I have a palm size area with no gray, the rest if my hair is in various gray shades. Thinking about going lighter but I have been waiting for my brown area to gray, so I do not need to have that area bleached every touch up, it is stubbornly refusing to change.

just_terrilynn thanked jill302
  • 3katz4me
    6 years ago

Justterri - your new do looks fabulous!

just_terrilynn thanked 3katz4me
  • User
    6 years ago

Wow! That looks so great!!! She did a really good job, it's a cute cut!

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Your hair looks fantastic! Congratulations.

just_terrilynn thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Funkyart
    6 years ago

I like it.. it looks sassy!

I don't remember if you said whether you'd been blonde before but with the thickness and number of highlights, you should be prepared to go in for touch ups pretty regularly. I don't want to be a downer as you are adjusting to the new style and color-- but I want to be sure you're prepared! It helps that it is streaky but the thicker the highlight, the more obvious the roots.

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • westsider40
    6 years ago

I like your new 'do' a lot. Cool.

just_terrilynn thanked westsider40