SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jr_ashburn

Root rot on Windmill Palm?

John Ashburn
6 years ago

I am in southern Virginia and I planted this small windmill palm about 3 years ago in my backyard. I planted it in a shady area since it can get very dry at times in my backyard - in the summer the palm gets only about an hour of direct sun during the day, whereas in the winter it gets about 5 hours. It had been doing well until about a month ago, after weeks of heavy rain, all the older fronds lost their green color, and even the larger spear is starting to wilt. Is this due to root rot? The smallest spear is still intact.
I covered most of the trunk with leaves during this past winter to help keep the trunk warm - it briefly got down to about 10 degrees F for a couple of nights this past winter. During previous winters I built a warming tent over the palm to help keep it warm, but decided that maybe a small pile of leaves might be sufficient (it was certainly easier!) After the winter, I removed most of the leaves but left a half inch layer to help retain moisture, but after all the rain this layer of leaves might have helped promote root rot.
Any advice would certainly be appreciated - there are some 10' tall windmill palms in my area.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living