SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpage1230

Building our first new home in our 60s.....

karen sue
6 years ago
... and have a question for all you knowledgeable and helpful people on Houzz.. my husband is retired and as soon as we sell our home in are fairly rural community of Arkansas we will be moving to the Gulf Coast. We have a lot purchased as well as a home builder who we thoroughly vetted and feel very comfortable with. Because homes in our current area sell very cheaply and where we are building will be considerably more expensive it is important that we make every dollar count. Of our total building budget are there general guidelines for what percentages go towards specific areas? For example, what percentage of budget should go towards kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc?
The same for flooring, light fixtures, plumbing. Though we are not handy ourselves , I am able to devote time and energy in research and finding good deals online. Any input and advice from those who have gone through this will be much appreciated. The pictures I've attached are a general idea of what our kitchen and family area will look like.

Comments (81)