SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lyssa_labrecque

Some garden befores and afters

Anna-Lyssa Zone9
6 years ago

I should be doing housework right now, but the cat and dog want me to sit with them on the sofa so here are a couple of before and after shots of the garden (and some "ongoings")...

Here is the "side garden" along the south side of the house. It had three old pear trees in a stone edged border which I love. The pear trees are now all fruit bearing and though rather decrepit, they rock. We extended the bed toward the garage and planted a fourth pear tree, the younger generation.... On the left we just started planting bulbs we kept finding in the front lawn when it was torn up to run pipes through (irises and things), this became a long flowerbed. Beyond the pale ivy there was a fence that needed replacing. We replaced it, and it was BARE and we could see into the neighbour's yard and it caused me much grief. Now it's almost completely covered with (false) jasmine and we don't see the neighbours any more. In front of the garage it's very very hot, so we either need to plant a tree slightly to the left or build an arbour... TBC

Now:

Apologies for the poor photo quality... my phone is terrible at everything except close-ups. C'est la vie.

To the left of the garage you can see Lamarque, planted on the south side just ready to make the leap to the front of the garage... which will be interesting.

In the flowerbed are Mary Rose (not in the photo - she's at the sart of the bed), Mme Isaac Pereire (which is getting a tripod soon and relief from her neighbours), Alfred de Dalmas, Capitaine John Ingram, R. roxburghii, Old Blush, Jacques Cartier, Rose de Rescht, and Gloire de France at the front of the semi-circle part. The idea was that this passageway needed to be wide enough for the car but the garage is now no longer a garage... so I suppose I could widen the bed eventually (I think someone could be convinced). The potted lime is recovering from a bad winter. :( We waited too long before covering it...

I love these pear trees.

Here's a photo earlier in the year with the tulips in the pear bed.

This was the beginning of our garden:

More to come!

Comments (35)