SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

When it rains it pours

neetsiepie
6 years ago

Just needed to vent.

We're in the midst of renoing on of our bathrooms. The new tub & surround are actually 3" narrower over all than the old system (a one piece fiberglass unit), so we're gaining some floor space, which is nice.

The bad news-once we ripped out the old tub we discovered a horrific mess. Apparently the PO left a HUGE opening where the drain goes down under the house. Meaning that it was exposed to rats who got in under the tub and made a hotel under it. All the insulation had to be removed-it was soaked with rat urine. We had to tear out half of another wall so we could get out rats nests between the studs.

And the subfloor is apparently 3 different heights-he had glued down 3/4" plywood over the existing linoleum floor-but patched in 1/2" plywood under the tub area over the original sub floor. The entry to the bathroom is 3/8" lower than the main flooring.

We thought about ripping out the thick plywood and laying down some new subfloor, but then the toilet drain and heat vent would be too high, so we're having to raise the other parts of the floors to match the main part.

We've had to buy all new insulation, more plywood and more sheetrock than we'd originally planned. We did budget for cost overruns, but didn't plan on TIME over runs, because we had to clean, disinfect and seal with primer the walls and floor under the old tub. And because of that floor height difference and the new system being 3" narrower, we do have to fix that part of the floor. We are definitely going to plug up that giant hole in the floor too. We had planned to get the new flooring and tub in today, but that won't happen till probably Monday now.

To top it all off, our water heater gave up the ghost last night. I learned that it is nearly 20 years old-well past it's expected lifespan. But we can't get a new one installed until Wednesday! So not only have we been relegated to using one bathroom, we have no hot water for the next several days. Looks like we're probably going to rent a motel for a couple days and switch off sleeping there (someone has to stay at the house with the animals) just so we can bathe. DH is still covered with insulation fibers! I've got paint all over me and saw dust in my hair. We must look a fright!

At least when it's all said and done, I can take a nice long bath, with nice hot water, in a nice, fresh, warm bathroom!

Comments (17)