SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

When it Rains, it Pours (Long Post)

Cherryfizz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Things sure have changed in my life in a quick succession. I posted about the damage the rain storm caused to my house September 27. The contractor sent by my insurance adjuster came in and said what needed to be repaired. I then didn't hear anything from them.

Just after that I was asked if I could take in a rescued 9 year old female lab/Chesapeake Bay retriever because her 2nd owner, a young woman just started a business and would be travelling across the country. I said no at first because I really could not afford a dog at this time but I knew I wanted another dog since my Loki passed away sp I said yes with the condition the young woman would pay for the dog's food and any upcoming vet bills. She agreed to that because she wanted the dog to go to a good home.

Then my sister who is 17 years older than I took a turn for the worse and had to come stay with me temporarily. Her apartment building which is owned by the city is infested with cockroaches, just horrible. She has stage 4 lung cancer and had taken a turn for the worse and was recently put on oxygen. The building was going to be sprayed again and because of her condition we moved her to my house for the time being. We have wonderful Community Health Care. When she was at her apartment she was getting a nurse coming in every day but most of the time she would not answer the door. She would not avail herself of all the services offered. I told her the condition on coming to stay at my house she will access all the services.

So we have a nurse coming every day. a personal support worker to bath her and change her clothes, we have had a nurse practitioner come in and assess her and prescribe other medications she might need like ventalin treatments and a few other things. An Occupation Therapist came in and assessed Marjorie for what equipment she may need. I now have a hospital bed in the middle of my living room, a bath chair, a hospital table, nebulizer, walker, transport wheel chair. Oxygen breathing tech has been here and we have an oxygen generator that runs 24 hours a day, then 2 large safety tanks if the power goes out, numerous small tanks for when she has to go by car or be transported somewhere. My phone never stops ringing, and I have people coming and going. Today at 8:30 am a new high slimline toilet was installed because my other toilet was too short for my 5'10 tall sister to easily use. Then we had the Hospice Doctor and nurses stop by to see what pain medications my sister may need and to assess her for future end of life residency if she chooses not to take the new chemo pill her cancer doctor is prescribing once the funding comes through for it. The care my sister is receiving is wonderful from all these workers and the pharmacies who keep an eye on her medications and who put her prescriptions in blister packs for safety reasons. Why do they make pills so tiny. My sister drops them and i have this dog that I don't want to die from eating dropped medications.

My sister has been here for a few weeks now. Because of the medication she is on she has to go to the washroom every 2 hours. I never got more than 2 hours at a time sleep during the night. She would always call for help. She would forget how to breath so we printed up a paper with big words for her to read "smell the roses, blow out the candles" She would wake me to help her to breath through her nose. She had panic attacks, made me call for an ambulance one night. Then we had to hire private ambulance to bring her home the next day. The other night she had another panic attack and woke me to call an ambulance and I said no, she just had to breath so I sat up with her until she calmed down. I have had no time for myself, waiting on her hand and foot, getting meals, etc. As soon as I would sit down she wanted something despite me asking if she needed anything. I was getting worn out. I finally told her using her walker she can get to the bathroom by herself, she doesn't need me. If she wasn't here she would be by her own in her apartment and would have to get to the bathroom on her own. So the other night I finally was able to get 5 hours of straight sleep and now she is going to the washroom on her own. The nurse said she can be alone, she is not a risk for falling, etc. I was able to get out yesterday to do some banking and take care of some of her affairs and when I came home the dog was outside on her tie up and my sister let her out. She has improved since she has been here and the nurse may not have to come every day now.

So, back to the ceiling repair. I had not heard anything for the 3 weeks after the first contractor was here. I was to busy with my sister and the new dog to think about anything and thought the contractors were too busy and would eventually get to me. Then someone else from the company called and asked me what had been done. I told him his company was the contractor and I had not heard anything from them. He came out to the house and said the first person who took the report after the storm was from an out of town franchise and he said she did not transfer the reports to the local company so he came in and remeasured and took pictures of things. He told me during those 3 weeks before my sister came in the ceiling should have been torn down and dryers brought in and a tarp put on the roof because I had emergency coverage. I wasn't too happy with this business. He came, went and didn't call again until yesterday but he did send someone over to tarp the roof. and collect samples this week to test for asbestos So when he called yesterday I told him my situation has changed. my sister is camped out in my living room and I would have to find a place for her to go for however long it takes for them to fix my ceilings. I put that in motion today and hopefully my sister has a respite place next week. She wants to go back to her apartment but she needs care at this time and we are trying to talk to her about giving up her apartment. I said I would never be my sister's care taker after being one for my Mom all those years but look at me now. I didn't have the help with my Mom like my sister is getting from community health care.

So when my sister gets a bed somewhere I can get this ceiling torn down and replaced. I feel this is all too much for me since everything happened at once but I am trudging along. I am keeping positive and we laugh a lot and I have lost a bit of weight which is always a good thing because I am moving so much between my sister and the dog haha

One good thing that has come out of all this is selling the albatross of a rental house I inherited when my Mom passed away. It is a dump, my brother lived in it and never took care of it and it has sat empty for quite a few years. It needs a new roof, siding and eavetroughs. I was talking to the roofer who came to assess my roof for the tarp last weekend and I asked him what the cost was for a tarp since I might need one for the rental house. I told him I wanted to sell it ASAP and he perked up and he said he flips houses and he wanted to take a look at it. I said maybe there was a reason he showed up in my life that day. I have been after my brother for years to empty that house, but couldn't rock the boat too much because the rent my brother paid me was paying the mortgage. I told him now it was imperative the house be cleared out. he would never let anyone in the house including me but I told him he better not lose me this sale. So he has rented a bin and is clearing the house out. I guess kids had broken in and trashed the house inside. I hadn't been in that house in almost 30 years so I was taking his word everything was all right with the house when I asked about it. I am happy with what the roofer offered me because I told him how bad the house may be, and it may just be a tear down. He also offered to fix my roof. as part of the sale. Then my older brother's SO thought maybe she might buy the rental house for her daughter and wants to have someone go in to tell me what the market price might be. They think the other guys offer is too low but I just want to get rid of it. I told the potential buyer what was going on and he said he would wait for my decision. So once the house is empty my younger brother will let them it to appraise it. My world will be so much happier if that house is gone and the mortgage on it paid off. So I have had a lot on my plate in a short time span. My wonderful Sister in Law is doing a lot of running around for my sister. we got POA's done yesterday. Just this intimidating ceiling repair is the next thing I have to deal with.

The Queen just reminded me I promised I would make chicken salad from left over chicken for her dinner tonight. This after last night when she did not eat the steak or green beans I cooked her supper haha Smell the roses, blow out the candles, deep breaths. Sorry this was long, I needed to vent

Comments (27)