SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaina_tosoff

Knotweed in my raised vegetable beds

Elaina Tosoff
6 years ago

This is my first year gardening. The spring in Coastal BC was brutal this year with the entire month of April and half of May being extremely cold and wet.

We built the raised beds. I lined the beds with food grade plastic since we opted to build them from Douglas Fir rather than cedar. I lined the bottom of the bed with landscaping cloth which at the time I felt to be excessive given that the beds are nearly 2 ft tall. In late March we filled the beds with soil so it experienced about 6 heavy weeks of rain. I wasn't very happy with the soil blend I ordered....it seems to have a lot of un-rotted an fairly large wood chunks and is a bit sandy. I laid a layer of organic potting soil over the top of the beds to add some higher quality soil to the mix.
In the middle of May, I notice a strange red tipped weed poking up through the garden bed. I was sort of shocked that the plant was able to grow 2 ft through the soil. As the weeks go on, I find a red growing tips popping up in different areas of the garden bed. Only about a week ago did we finally bother to identify the weed and have discovered that it's the invasive "Japanese Knotweed." It's growing under our fence from a neighbor's yard under the ground and up 2 feet into my veggie garden!

I have been frustrated by my garden's performance this year and have been blaming the poor weather and the soil I bought. Finally I google "allelopathy knotweed" to see if this invasive plant is poisoning the soil similar to a walnut tree. I did find some results on studies done on native plants that do demonstrate it may have some allelopathic tendencies....but I'm wondering if the few shoots I keep finding can have that affect on my entire garden?
I started 9 tomato plants indoors and 2 weeks ago I planted 4 in the garden bed. They received adequate sun and water and seem healthy enough but aren't thriving. I planted two of the tomato seedlings in pots on my front balcony and 3 in a raised bed out by the front door-all in the same soil as the backyard bed. Those 5 plants are getting significantly less sun and for some reason are all looking a lot more robust than the ones in the veggie garden.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with knotweed in their vegetable garden? Is it possible that it's poisoning the soil?

Comments (5)

Sponsored