SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kylebartone

Questions about my Prayer Plant

Kyle M
6 years ago

Hello everyone! I have had a prayer plant for a few weeks now, and I just have a few questions about its care. I got it from a nursery and it didn't have a whole lot of leaves, but I honestly don't remember how small it was when I got it. I put it in my mom's greenhouse for a while, and we put it on a lower shelf, so it got a good amount of light. I started to think it looked a little sad so I brought it inside and its sitting on my desk a few feet away from the window. I just don't know if its healthy or not.

You can definitely see that the plant's leaves are facing more in one direction.

So I guess these are my questions.

1) I read that prayer plants need shallow pots. Is this pot too big for it or should I find something more shallow? The dirt is extremely similar to the dirt I use for my succulents, so potting soil, peat moss, and perlite.

2) Does the plant look healthy? I mean, it is doing that thing right now where it lifts its leaves a little, which is why the leaves at the top are pointed straight into the air. But overall is it okay? I feel like it usually looks like it wilts a little bit but I don't know.

3) There are two leaves on the plant that I'm a little concerned about. You can see that the top one in the following picture looks like its a little crinkled, but its not the only one that looks that way. So it that getting too much light? And the one at the bottom I'm worried about because it lost all that light color in the middle. Does that mean its not getting enough light? It also seems a little bit weak. Should I fertilize or something?

For the most part I think its healthy because it has two new leaves growing, but I just want to make sure because I'm not really too familiar with this plant and I'm trying to learn as I go along.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert