SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Damask & Damask Perpetual Photo Share, Please!

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm back with a few photos of Damasks/Damask Perpetuals/Portlands. Please share examples from your gardens if you have a moment. I only grow a few Damasks and Portlands now, so it would be lovely to gaze upon your varieties! More to come from my garden as roses awaken. Carol

Botzaris

Behind the collie barricade!

Comments (54)

• 6 years ago

What lovely Damasks/Damask Perpetuals/Portlands.

Are they all limited to spring blooming?

Kate

portlandmysteryrose thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • 6 years ago

Question - does La Ville de Bruxelles blooms fried in the summer? Does this rose gave strong sent?

portlandmysteryrose thanked Tangles Long
  • Related Discussions

Damasks, Portlands, Mosses

Q

Comments (7)
    My eyes are wide open to the beauty you just showed me in these photos. Can it get any better? The SJ Heritage garden is unbelievable! Juliet
    ...See More

Damasks & Portlands: photos and comments to share?

Q

Comments (38)
    Jay, your Sydonie is lovely. I'll bet she is as fragrant as she is delicious to behold. If I could find a place for her, I'd grow her again. She is on my list of most loved OGRs. Wirosarian, beautiful pics! You are growing two of my favorite roses. I've never seen evidence of spider mites and don't recall them in my former Minnesota garden; however, my Portland neighbor suffers attacks of them on her boxwoods. They certainly can attack roses as well as many other plants. I recommended a regular hosing off to my neighbor and that tactic has helped a great deal. Carol
    ...See More

Shamelessly share photos of your 2018 Hybrid Perpetual roses!

Q

Comments (65)
    Baronne Prevost has been blooming consistently for the past 2? months or so. I find it difficult to get good pictures of her, especially in the bright sun. She’s been blooming mostly in clusters of about 5. They usually open at different times, so I can never bring myself to cut them, until the last buds of the cluster begin opening. By then, the first blooms are finished blooming. Today, I cut a few blooms left from such clusters, and put them in a small vase. I discovered that my phone captures Baronne Prevost’s color much better indoors! There’s non of that harsh neon color, I get in the sunlight. Here’s a few of her blooms from this morning. Although this bloom looks more red here, (it’s not really). I like seeing her stamens. They remind me of some of my beloved Bourbon roses. Lisa
    ...See More

Alba, Damask, Moss, Centifolia Photo Share, Anyone?

Q

Comments (66)
    Wow! I stepped away from this thread for a few hours, and when I came back, there was a string of beautiful new photos! Paul, thank you for all the photos! Tour de Malakoff and Madame Hardy are two of the loveliest old roses, and each one is surely a contender for best in class. Tour de Malakoff may be my favorite Centifolia. There's a photo in one of Peter Beale's books which captures Tour de Malakoff, William Lobb and apricot tulips all tangled together. That one photo of violet-mauve-grey TdM ignited love at first sight many years ago. It still strikes me as odd that most people I meet have never heard of TdM...or so many other classic old roses. Even Madame Hardy, whose blooms are about as close to perfection as any white rose ever comes. Your Marbree seedling is both fascinating and completely charming! Its shade of pink falls into that silvery-lavender range that inspires me to believe in fairies, and the speckling just adds to the illusion, as if the fairies gave the petals a good dusting before flying off to tend other flowers, I wish ALL your roses were in commerce! How can this rose NOT be in gardens everywhere? I love the mossiness of "Nutshop" and would be thrilled if you get a chance to snap a picture of an open bloom! If speckled, silvery pink roses are gifted to us by fairies, surely Moss roses are where fairies reside when they are at rest. Carol One of my daughter's fairy houses made from an overturned clay pot:
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Most of the Damasks bloom in late Spring, only. 'Quatre Saisons', 'Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseaux', and their true Damask Perpetual and Perpetual Moss descendants bloom intermittently through the season, varying individually. Most will have a late Summer through Autumn flush, though not as heavy as the first in late Spring. They can be encouraged to have a larger second flush by doing their "Spring prune" after their first flush, and giving them another feeding. This means trimming them lightly in late Winter, in anticipation of doing it again in early Summer. This has worked for me with 'Rose du Roi -- original' and 'Blanc de Vibert'. I have a feeling that my Rosa fedtschenkoana would respond similarly if I treated it that way, but right now I'd rather keep learning what it does on its own. The others I have -- 'Delambre', 'Duchess of Portland', and 'Marbree' Damask Perpetuals, and 'Mousseline', 'Salet', and 'Soupert et Notting' Perpetual Mosses -- are too young to endure that treatment yet. I just want them to grow right now. I also have 'Indigo', but I treat that one like a Gallica, and just enjoy whenever it decides to rebloom on its own. Since it suckers more than the others, I fear that any additional pruning would just encourage that even more.

The "Hybrid Perpetuals with Portland traits" that have some China blood may bloom a bit more often. I know others don't separate the true Damask Perpetuals from the "Hybrid Perpetuals with Portland traits", but I agree with the summation by Philip Robinson from Vintage Gardens that they are distinct. Some were called "Trianon Perpetuals", of which I have 'Yolande d'Aragon' and 'Sydonie'. They have Damask Perpetual rebloom but China traits in their growth. Others are just short and bushy, giving the "illusion" of a Portland habit -- like 'Arthur de Sansal'. They lean more toward Chinas and/or Bourbons in their rebloom patterns.

Then there's 'Rose de Rescht' -- where does that fit in?

:-)

~Christopher

portlandmysteryrose thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 6 years ago

???

I don't know what this is. Came from ARE 1/17. Chunky, globular buds and light green foliage. Leaves rough underneath. I'll try again when blooms open.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

Based on their inventory, I'm guessing 'Marchesa Boccella' or 'Vick's Caprice'.

~Christopher

• 6 years ago

Thank you Christopher for throwing that out there. I'll look those up.

• 6 years ago

Sheila, do you grow La Reine? That light green foliage and the silvery pink, peony-like buds held well above the foliage made me think of her.

portlandmysteryrose thanked John (PNW zone 8)
  • 6 years ago

I'm leaning toward Vick's Caprice looking at HMF so far. Of course, it would help if it opened. Sorry, off topic, I didn't know where it belonged.

• 6 years ago

John, no, I'll look that up too. I was hoping some OGR expert would recognize it. Thank you.

• 6 years ago

Oh they're so glorious. Mine have all fried by now, I'm very sorry to say. And your trees.

Melissa from hot dry Piacenza

portlandmysteryrose thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 6 years ago

Here's a rose I've been waiting to see bloom since last spring. It came from Rogue Valley Roses as Césonie, a Moss, but without a photo because it was new to her collection. Well, it's not a moss but perhaps it is the Vibert Césonie, which is perhaps a Damask Perpetual.

From a couple of weeks ago:

Whomever she is, she's lovely and very fragrant and has managed to mostly laugh at the fungal diseases hereabouts (northern CA, near the ocean.) If anyone has any thoughts about it, I'd be so interested.

Gloire de Guilan (a little past the "Gloire" but it was really nice!)

These plants are still auditioning in pots, waiting to have their ground made safe from deer, voles, and wind. Anyone that keeps at least some of their leaves gets to stay!

Linda

portlandmysteryrose thanked lindaperry_9b
  • 6 years ago

I also have the Cesoine from RVR but I agree it's not a moss.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • 6 years ago

That Césonie is a beautiful plant, moss or not! I like the leaves a lot. Does it repeat?

• 6 years ago

Ispahan and Rose d'Hivers in my garden about a week and a half ago (hard to believe!):

portlandmysteryrose thanked Anna-Lyssa Zone9
  • 6 years ago

I'm drooling! They're all so beautiful. I wonder if Amanda Patenaude may be the rose with the study name of Portland of Glendora. It seems to be a dead ringer. Perhaps they've finally identified this rose correctly. Botzaris looks like a glorious snowball when fully open.

portlandmysteryrose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 6 years ago

Comte de Chambord: fresh and fading blooms.

• 6 years ago

All gorgeous! Wish I had the room for more...

Crested Damask -

-Chris

portlandmysteryrose thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • 6 years ago

...and Indigo

-Chris

• 6 years ago

Does Indigo have a blend of purple and pink petals or is that just a feature of the photo? It's really beautiful!

portlandmysteryrose thanked Robin Lemke
  • 6 years ago

The found rose "Portland from Glendora" has been identified or designated as BOTH 'Amanda Patenaude' AND 'Joasine Hannet'. It cannot possibly be both. I would think. Mine, from a now closed nursery in Virginia was sold as PfG, and the flowers do look like those pictured above. It is a lovely rose, but the growth habit is not compact at all, and rather resembles the growth of 'Sydonie' and 'Yolande de Aragon', with longish canes, about 4'-5' with some branching, growing up from the roots.

portlandmysteryrose thanked mcnastarana
  • 6 years ago

I am not sure where to post this because it refers to several threads. I just want to thank you all for sharing amazing photos of your moss, damask, gallica, and other roses. It's been a feast for the eyes! There's so much to enjoy and learn from your incredible closeups, encyclopedic knowledge, and remarkable passion for roses.

portlandmysteryrose thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • 6 years ago

I want them all!!

portlandmysteryrose thanked blank_generation
  • 6 years ago

Robin, that's actually how it looks. The colors change, I assume, as they are exposed to the sun. The outer petals have had longer exposure than the inner petals, creating the effect. This rose has proven to be very healthy in my garden. I really like it.

-Chris

• 6 years ago

Thank you for the response, Chris! That rose is definitely going on my list. :)

• 6 years ago

Here's a damask rose I enjoyed at the Marin Rose Society's garden.

Leda was about 2.5 - 3 ft tall and had a wonderful scent.

Ann

portlandmysteryrose thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 6 years ago

Being as I'm the type who tries growing roses which seem off the radar, I bought 'Delambre' last year from Roses Unlimited. I don't hear much about this rose, but I wanted to collect the few remaining true Damask Perpetuals. Well, I noticed some blooms on it this morning before work, but didn't have time to take pictures. I can report that it matches the pics on HelpMeFind, and that it has a very nice fragrance -- definitely not "mild". I can't report on any repeat yet, but I'll be watching it this year.

~Christopher

• 6 years ago

Indigo

Indigo at night

• 6 years ago

Ann, that looks like it could be Pink Leda. The original Leda is white with a pink rim.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • 6 years ago

I think you're correct Buford - do you know what the relationship of the two is? In looking at HMF, it says that Pink Leda is once blooming while White Leda blooms throughout the summer. Is Pink Leda a sport of White Leda?

Ann

portlandmysteryrose thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • 6 years ago

There are some incredibly beautiful roses in this group, a true feast for the eyes. I was interested in Indigo for myself since I love purple roses and this one has some rebloom. However, someone mentioned that it has a suckering habit and that's not something I want to deal with. Has anyone here experienced this?

portlandmysteryrose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 6 years ago

Yes, Indigo does sucker, Ingrid. Mine is hopelessly entwined with Tuscany Superb. I don't know if someone would graft it? Carol

• 6 years ago

I'm loving all these beautiful pictures. I have Rose du Roi of commerce and Duchess of Portland, but they're not blooming right now.

Christopher, I've read that Philip Robinson article several times, and Rose de Rescht is pretty confusing. He clearly says that he sees China influence, but it seems like he decided to leave it in the "true" damask perpetual category. That's surprising because he's pretty merciless about kicking out all others that appear to have China blood--or he believes have been mislabeled in commerce.

portlandmysteryrose thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Sheila, John, Anna-Lyssa, Chris, Linda, Ann and Buford: thank you so much for sharing! Beautiful Damask/Perpetual photos!!!

Linda, what a wonderful and mysterious (possibly) HP! It's nice to know about the healthy tendencies. I'm going to check out (Vibert) Cesoni at RVR. I haven't cruised around on the site in awhile. Carol

• 6 years ago

I don't know WHAT this is! It arrived from Heirloom as Comte de Chambord years ago, but it obviously is NOT Comte de Chambord. It looks like Jacques Cartier but isn't (too tall, not remontant in several years). However, it IS a gorgeous, froth of extremely fragrant once-blooming (I think) pink cotton candy blooms on a healthy HP-like shrub. I adore it and am celebrating the error! Carol

• 6 years ago

My ??? now.

• 6 years ago

Four of my favorites.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • 6 years ago

Sheila, is your rose more or less thornless (few thorns) as it appears? Strong fragrance? I see smoothish (for an OGR), light green foliage. Buds, unfurling pattern.... La Reine? I'm guessing RVR carries her.

Ha. Ha. Editing and adding that I already "liked" and "thanked" John yesterday for the same suggestion! Oh, brain! Wherefore art thou?

Carol

• 6 years ago

Carol, it is from ARE, but I think John is right. I'm glad you agree. Christopher is always a great help. La Reine looks like it. Thank you so much. I'm sure I'll love it.

• 6 years ago

Sheila, I hope we're right - La Reine is such a lovely rose. I have problems with it getting blackspot immediately after blooming, but mine is still very young - first year in the ground. I should note, when it does get blackspot, it drops the leaves, quickly regrows fresh foliage and immediately reblooms. So all is forgiven!

• 6 years ago

Indigo is so beautiful

portlandmysteryrose thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 6 years ago

I agree with modestgoddess. I love them all, but Indigo is especially lovely. Ingrid, you were asking about it suckering. Would it really sucker much for us, in our hot dry conditions? It seems like it wouldn't be as easy for it to do so when the surrounding soil would be rather hard and dry. I've never grown a rose prone to suckering, so maybe I'm totally off here. I'm just thinking, planted on a hot dry slope with irrigation only at the base of the rose, maybe it wouldn't want to go anywhere else? Maybe someone here knows. I have also been eyeing Leda for some time. Buford made me want her! What a gorgeous class of roses. Lisa

portlandmysteryrose thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

Some damask perpetual roses blooming today at Rosarie de l'Hay:

Delambre

Marie de Saint Jean

Panachee de Lyon

... reverting back to Rose du Roi on the same plant:

Elsewhere, there were several plants of Rose du Roi in a group

Blanc de Vibert (looking much more damask than the version I have at home from RU)

• 6 years ago

Thank you so much for posting these beautiful Damasks, John! We are all visiting Rosarie de l'Hay today courtesy of your wonderful images and thoughtfulness in sharing as you travel. Carol

• 6 years ago

Wow, John, you're there right now?! That's fantastic! (Very envious!)

I owe you a response to a question: The perhaps 'Césonie' from RVR hasn't bloomed before this year so I can't comment on rebloom. In addition, since my earlier post I've done a little poking around and spoken with Janet at RVR about the provenance. She said it came as cuttings from an Episcopal church in Jacksonville, Ore., described as she did in her rose list, as a moss. I've sent a message to the vicar there to see if anyone might know more. A page with a few pix from their rose garden is at:

http://www.standrewsanglican.org/rose.html

And Buford, I wonder, do you have anything to add here? Has this rose bloomed yet for you, or rebloomed; your impressions?

This thread was a great idea! The photos from round the world, live (northern hemisphere!) of these sumptuous blooms are so exciting and inspiring! Thanks everybody and Carol, especially!

Linda

portlandmysteryrose thanked lindaperry_9b
  • 6 years ago

I know this is late to the thread but my once bloomers aren't done yet and I found this bloom on my Leda yesterday that is the most spectacularly colorful I've ever seen. Don't know what caused it, but I love it!

Isn't it wild?

portlandmysteryrose thanked AnneCecilia z5 MI
  • 6 years ago

Annececilia, that's gorgeous. I wonder if it's a stable sport. Maybe you could try rooting it after it's finished flowering. Sheila, where did you get your Yolande d'Aragon? I saw this in all its glory at P. Schneider's with very little care and now it's in the "must-have" category. The scent and bloom was astounding and healthy to boot! Is that your experience?

portlandmysteryrose thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

Here are some pictures of mine from about a month ago. Jacques Cartier (this one is already reblooming in July after deadheading. I love it).

Below, two pictures of Rose de Rescht -- this one gets the damask crud really badly later in the season. I think it might have a virus (yellow markings) but am too tenderhearted to get rid of it. The iris, Paltec -- first to bloom, last to finish -- is an absolute treasure in the garden, though rain sodden in the picture.

Above and below: Yolande d'Aragon. I really don't have room for this marvelous giant. In front of it is a bud of Mirandy, which I put in for my husband, who likes red roses. I like it, too, but it is not a vigorous grower. Being all jammed together is no help, probably.

Finally, a blown up glamour shot of Pergolèse which I cut for my daughter's

birthday dinner. I have a sentimental attachment to this rose because of its composer namesake. This is the first year it produced decent looking blooms - they are usually a washy dark pink without much shape. It is supposed to be a reblooming damask but looks and behaves like a Gallica. Below P. with Yolande and my late Italian stepfather's Venetian inkwell, which he actually used.

portlandmysteryrose thanked monarda_gw
  • 6 years ago

Vaporvac, I got my Yolande at Rogue Valley Roses. I had to have her, but she is a big girl. I pruned back this year after the bloom, to get her back into line. She might be 8 ft tall.

• 6 years ago

I have to prune her and tie her up.

portlandmysteryrose thanked monarda_gw
  • 6 years ago

Monarda, I love the stories that go with your beautiful roses! Thank you, Sheila. I'm ordering E.B. LeGrice from RVR next year, so it's great to have something else to add to the shipment that I really want. I was Very impressed with YdA and am surprised she's not more widely grown in colder areas. You are too lucky to be so close to RVRs as they seem to have so many unusual varieties.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley