SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Help with the quilting part of this quilt on my long arm....

Robbi D.
6 years ago

This is a queen size BOM from Hoop Sister's, Sewn Seeds. All the blocks are done on my 6 needle embroidery machine. It was designed to be done in a QAYG style, but the instructor at the LQS said it was easier to leave off the backing and add it later, which I'm now trying to do. The batting is sewn into the embroidery and up to the seam allowance (1/4" seams), so it's only the backing I need to add. The problem is that the seams are very stiff and thick (you can't press them open or to one side). I have the quilt loaded on the long arm, and was going to do a simple pattern, stitch in the ditch, since the quilt has a beautiful embroidery pattern that I didn't want to distract from. The problem is getting over or through the seams and corners. I did one pass across and either got the needle stuck (machine hung with the needle in the fabric), broke the needle, or broke the thread. I'm using a 16 needle with embroidery thread (which I was told was good??). Plus the stitching looks like a 2 year old did it since the seams keep "kicking me out". The hopping foot doesn't like going over the seams either. I even tried a ruler to help guide me straight, but that made it worse trying to hold the ruler and guide the machine.

Any ideas?? I'm not very good with my long arm yet, but this added frustration isn't helping at all!

TIA,

Robbi

Comments (8)