SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizaveta

A medium remodel... advice, please

lizaveta
6 years ago

Hi there. My husband and I have an offer in on a house. The kitchen layout seems pretty good to me, and the cabinets are very well made, but the room is dated. If we buy the house, we will be refinishing the red oak floor, to a darker, less orange color. If I am going to do any layout or cabinet changes in the kitchen, they should happen before the floor is done. Please let me know what you think of these proposed changes:

-- Remove the bank of cabs with the 4 wall ovens. They are 24" ovens.

-- Eliminate the downdraft cooktop on the island, and install a 48" pro range and hood where the 4 wall ovens used to be. Do a narrow pullout on either side of the range for oils/spices.

-- Extend the length of the island to include pullout trash and recycling, and seating for 2 to 4 people. I would also like drawers on the work side of the island, so may need to replace the island cabs to get those. Do I need another oven in the island if I have a 48" range? Put in a larger prep sink in existing location. Eliminate the table butted to the island. The opposite end of the room is a breakfast room, and we plan to reclaim it as such.

-- Replace the counters on the perimeter and island with stone

-- Paint the oak cabs, going through the laborious process of filling in the grain. Or buy new doors and just do the painstaking work on the frames.

-- Replace DW. Maybe change out the warming drawer for a micro drawer, if dimensions work.

-- Should I install pendants, or keep sight lines clear?

Alternatively, I could keep the current layout, swap out the cooktop for an induction downdraft, and replace counters and paint. Maybe keeping the cabs better preserves the symmetry of kitchen?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Comments (21)