SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

What JM would you put here?

brooklynbonnie
6 years ago

I'm trying to decide on a small JM that will have interest in all seasons if possible. Would prefer it be easy to keep to no more than 3ft wide and maybe 2-3ft tall. Also hope it to be green in summer and have a nice winter structure. Internet research for the past few weeks has given me a lot of ideas and ton of second-guessing headaches. I'm in NYC Zone 7b and my yard is very protected from wind. No experience with JMs at all.

My yard is on the South side of the house, narrow (16 feet wide) and deep; the patio plus the dirt area under trees is 60 feet long. However, it's shaded due to the ceder tree in my property and the neighbors mulberry trees, and more distant but larger trees farther away which block the sun as it travels from east to west. Additionally, and more shade-producing, are the buildings that border the yard on the south and west. I want to put a JM on the left side in the slightly raised curbed area. There are currently two little azaleas that have hung on for a few years now on either side of the space I'd plant the JM. The pictures show the light situation May to September. The rest of the year, though leaves are down it is all shade from about noon on. The neighbor landlord has plans to cut down the mulberry trees right at the fence, but it's been 2 years since he said that...

Here are the pictures. Standing at my house facing South. May 8am: (yesterday)

June a few years ago around 2pm. Dappled light not hitting left side though. Old apple tree is gone now, replaced with CM Catawba but mulberry trees keep it almost as shady:

July 23 a few years ago, again around 2pm. Area is on the right here:

August a couple years ago at 8am: (very little light coming through chain link)

September a couple years ago at 12noon:

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (11)