SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

What would you put here?

Sueb20
8 years ago

I have never quite figured out the best way to use this area in front of the fireplace.

This is at our beach house and the reality is, we don't use this room very much. We basically live on the screen porch. When we are here in winter, we tend to use the sunroom (a regular room, almost all windows, overlooking the water) or the den/TV room (former dining room). This living room is an odd L shape.

Until recently there was a sisal rug under the chairs (which are just random chairs we happened to have) but our elderly dog has peed on it a few times, so it's gone.

You can see below that to the left, there is a traffic path to the front door and stairs. To the right is DH's puzzle table, which has to stay where it is. (Um, and the dog crate and bed. Tres chic.)

The "L" part of the living room is a cozy area that has evolved over time and works well for chatting or reading, so I don't really want to mess with it.

I guess with the FP area, I don't really need function as much as I need something that looks pretty. What would you do? Maybe a low-backed bench? I don't know if it's apparent from the pics, but any seating that faces the FP would have its back to the furniture grouping above.

Would you add a rug to definite the space? As I said, we had one (it matched the one shown above) but it needs to be replaced (or not?).

We are here for two weeks and I have decided that this is my "vacation" project!

Comments (49)