Tell people the stories about the stuff & why it is important to you

Pea

My mom passed away 2 and a half months ago. I now have her house full of stuff to sort. I find little collections i have never seen before...old silverware, cream and sugar sets etc...i know these were important to her as they were kept on the 'good' shelf in the cabinet but what are the stories that made these important...she never said where they came from...why did she kept those 2 lone forks engraved with someones intials...whose intials i don't know...where did this pretty little teapot come from, it matches nothing else in her cupboard. I would love to know the stories so they can be important to me too.

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sylvia Gordon

This might be one of those things that is forever unknown. When I cleaned out my elderly friend's kitchen, I found an inexpensive ceramic planter, broken into several pieces, tucked away safely on the top shelf. Heck even before she died, I tried to help her clean out her house. She didn't want to let anything go LOL. When I found an old avocado green crocheted acrylic poncho dating from the 1970s, stretched out of shape, with little pills, little fuzzy things, all over it, I said, " well at least we can throw this away!" And she replied, "oh no that's what my dear sister Helen wore to church every Sunday." Helen had died about 35 years before. That poncho stayed there until my old friend was gone.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
l pinkmountain

That's how I feel. I found a box of square white linen tablecloths in my mom's office closet. Never saw them before and she never used them so she never told me about them. I think they may have been from my grandparents bar/restaurant from a gazillion years before. Even before I was born or my parents were married. They didn't have the restaurant for a very long period of time. But anyway, I will never know and that kinda breaks my heart all over again. I should be able to get rid of them, but so far I can't. Obviously my mom felt the same way about them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Dens and Libraries 7 Libraries That Tell a Story About the People Who Read There
Book lovers show off their collections in rooms with a range of colors, styles and seating spots
Full Story
Architecture Tell a Story With Design for a More Meaningful Home
Go beyond a home's bones to find the narrative at its heart, for a more rewarding experience
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Curiosities Tell a Story
An interiors stylist uses her house as a 3D timeline of her tales and travels
Full Story