SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehs20815

People who gutted nice kitchens, tell me about donation process?

ehs20815
15 years ago

I bought my current house in part because I liked the ivory-painted, Shaker-style, beaded-inset cabs the previous owner put in in 2004. The previous owners had several other homes, entertained a lot but didn't cook, so it was like moving into a brand new kitchen.

Turns out I'm pickier and more TKO than I thought. After a few months, I realized that the cabinet layout and cabinet choices didn't suit me at all. It was all pretty, but didn't work for the way I cook (insufficient landing space on either side of range, sink too small, lots of pull-outs but no deep & wide drawers).

Long story short, the cost of adding on to these cabs is close enough (relatively) to what it would cost to just start from scratch that we decided to start fresh.

I'm planning to donate these nearly new cabs to our local Habitat for Humanity Restore (who say they would provide a receipt) but the folks there couldn't provide any help on how to get a value on the items for our tax purposes. Since these were extremely expensive cabinets less than 5 years ago, the potential deduction is more than I can just shrug off.

I'm not proud of tearing out a nearly new, perfectly lovely kitchen, but am planning to donate to Habitat. I just need help on how to establish the value. Those of you who have donated your excellent condition kitchen items to charity, how did you establish the value? There are appraisers in my area (Metro DC), but none able to tackle this--all focus on antique furniture or do insurance claims type stuff. Should I ask my KD?? Would love any advice as I would love for someone else to get use out of these items!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (11)