SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Need all summer flowering ideas for largish rock bed - partial shade

mmmm12COzone5
6 years ago

I have a awkwardly large rock bed that had become a thicket of traveling plants like sumac and some unknown bushes that spread. It is mostly cleared (except the edges kept with plants for privacy) and I would like to put something back in there.

Initially I was thinking roses and procured a Rosa Rugosa Alba. But then I started reading about the invasive spreading properties of this rose and became concerned with trying to continue to cut out the sumac suckers when they were growing among the thorny Rosa Rugosa Alba suckers.

I am probably having the Sumacs all cut out as I am fed up with trying to kill the suckers.

I already have a vegetable bed. So I'm thinking maybe a rose garden of non-spreading roses. There are a number of raspberry plants that spread from a raspberry bed we had to take out when a new air conditioner unit killed them with constantly blowing hot air. We will try to keep those. I did like the privacy the thicket provided so was thinking maybe some larger non-suckering bush roses at the perimeter and smaller ones throughout the main part of the bed with enough space between to walk around them for pruning. However, I hesitate to add the maintenance of a rose bed and also the trouble of pruning alot of thorny bushes. I would prefer to have no thorns to deal with.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what would be good to put there. Ideally it would be low maintenance, tolerate partial shade, and have summer flowers. I'm very open to suggestions.

Please toss out as many suggestions as you have. I need ideas of all sorts.

Comments (12)