SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ficusgw

Alocasia Polly -- should I whack?

Paul MI
6 years ago

Well, I've had this plant for I don't know how many years -- definitely 6+yrs. During this time, it has continued to grow though I've never been able to get a large number of leaves for a full looking plant. Think the most leaves I've ever had at once is 5 or maybe 6. Typically over the winter I'm down to 2, sometimes 3. (Considering my winter RH is usually around 15% and how weak and meager our winter sun is here, I've been okay with that.) It has bloomed for me on numerous occasions each year.

So it currently has a 7-8 inch "neck". I've been loath to mess with it as I would hate to risk killing a plant that has been such a trooper. BUT, I have been toying with the idea of "whacking" it so I could bury most of the stem and reroot. However, I have never done so with this type of plant before and have no idea how well it may respond to such treatment. Thus my quandary. So the following Qs:

1. How well does Polly typically handle such brutality?

2. How much stem should the cutting have?

3. Can I bury the entire naked stem of the cutting?

4. Do I need to allow the cut end to callous over for a few days as I would for that of a cactus or succulent?

5. Should I defoliate the cutting partially or in totality or not at all? (Currently has two leaves with a new leaf emerging.)

6. Any special care/steps I should take with regards to the cutting until it has rooted?

7. Will the stump likely send up new growth?

I have already posted this on the aroid forum, but since this one is often more active, figured I'd also "run it up the flagpole" here.

Comments (14)