SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lvr358

Grafted Rose or Sucker?? Eureka Rose??

lvr358
6 years ago

Hi All!

I bought what I THINK is a Eureka Floribunda Rose 3 years ago. It grew not too vigorously in width but reached about 4 ft in height first year, but upright with a few blooms. I do not remember it having much growth on the bottom,and the blooms didn't face upward, more horizontal facing as it opened if that matters or maybe typical. The buds were apricot with yellow petals with pinkish apricot tips that faded to pale yellow. The second year it did not come back (definitely my fault I did not mulch for winter and it was a cold one). I was told my zone goes between 5 and 4b depending on the winter we have. I cut back the bush last year, but left the stub. This spring there is new growth next to the stub which I assumed was a sucker. It has very dark green, reddish purple tipped oval glossy toothed leaves with similar color stem. Leaves a little lighter in picture. Is this definitely a sucker or could it be the top rose (presumedly Eureka)? Also some stems have 5 leaves and others 7, but maybe each stem hasn't finished developing leaves- it's about 1' tall??? Sorry Rose novice! I made the mistake of starting with too large a garden and this and one other Rose bush didn't receive the tlc they needed.

Should I expect this new growth to bloom if it is a sucker or plant I bought? Will it bloom first year? Is this definitely a sucker? Does the description sound like a Eureka Rose? And if so what type of blooms should I expect if it is a sucker? Also what should I do with the stub remaining in the ground? And should I move it to another location since it died back (possibly) completely? Sorry very confused and surprised there would be any growth what so ever after a whole year and a half??!!

Thank you for ANY suggestions at all!

I'm stumped!

Comments (2)