SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinn_parker

Rotting Ruby Ball Cactus

Quinn Parker
6 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm a very new plant owner and I really need some help. About 3-4 weeks ago I put my ruby ball cactus (which I've had for 3 months) outside to get some sun because I assumed all cacti needed a lot of direct sunlight since cacti grow in the desert. I left it out for 3 days. On the 3rd day while I was at work, it started to thunderstorm and I couldn't get home to bring it inside for about 6 hours. When I got home the red top looked very pale and washed out. I was extremly worried the roots would begin to rot from getting so wet, so the next morning I changed the pot and soil using a quick draining cactus soil I got from Home Depot.

Its been around 4 weeks and the color returned more or less to normal but I noticed a black spot on it. I orginally assumed it was dirt from when I changed the soil (things got a little messy), but as time went on the spot got slightly bigger and I noticed 2 more. When I touched the biggest one it was squishy so I think the ruby part is rotting but the green bottom seems fine.

What should I do? I read somewhere that you need to cut the rotting part off or it will effect the entire plant but I have no idea how to do that. Should I just lop off the top with a chef knife? Or do I need specific tools?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022