SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Spring accelerating!

Yesterday and today have been very warm and humid here and everything is starting to make a big leap forward. Hostas, in particular, seem to be off to a slow start this year but they're making progress now. The white redbud trees are well budded, but still not in flower yet. The young dogwood down by the shed didn't flower last year but is flower now , although the flowers are still a bit small. The rain in April and the first week of May has resulted in nice lush green grass - although the back lawn is very patchy again as we did a lot of dog-sitting this winter and there was very little snowcover to protect the grass! Another round of reseeding will be needed soon....!

We finished a little project over the last two days to attempt to fix an issue that's been bugging me :-) We have one of those outdoor clothes drying racks beside the patio - functional but very utilitarian and the silvery frame and white wire is always so intrusive in pictures of the patio area! So I decided to paint it one of the green colors we used on the shed and replace the white wire with a darker color (blue was the best option we could find for the wire....) The frame is always going to be somewhat noticeable but I think this is an improvement:

I tried to find a comparison 'before' picture and the best I can do is this one from June 22 2015:

Next project - raise the height of the air conditioner screen to screen the new, taller air conditioner that was installed last year.....

We (and the neighbour to the north who can see it from their family room...) are enjoying the dogwood by the shed:

Hopefully the white redbuds will be in full bloom soon. There is one just outside and to the left (SE) of the picture above, and this one back by the pines in the beds to the north (right side) of the back lawn in this picture taken a few days ago:

In the front garden we're closely watching the development of the wisteria flowerbuds! They really started accelerating in the heat yesterday! We took a couple of feet off the top of the Chinese one last summer to make it shorter and easier to prune. Most of the flowerbuds are on the surviving older wood so, while we're going to get a flower show from it this year, it will be considerable less impressive than it's been in the past! Here is how it looks in a zoomed-in view from the front porch this afternoon:

A closer look at the color:

Ahhh.... spring - I love it! What are you folk up to out there in your gardens now?

Comments (14)