SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

How Useful Will This Greenhouse Addition on a Shed Really Be?

Nancy in Mich
6 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that we need a shed. I have a couple of the plastic ones and they are not enough. My patio is still covered with things that need a shed to live in. Once I let that sink in, I went looking online at sheds and found that I could get one with a seed-starting greenhouse area at one end. Great! I used to have grow lights that I set up on tables in the house and I started flowers and some food plants, but I don't have room for that anymore.

I need some advice. I am in southeastern Michigan, zone 6. I can put the shed at least 10 feet away from the house, and it can extend up to 10 feet into our side yard (we are a corner lot), so the side where the greenhouse will be will get southern exposure there. I am thinking of using a design similar to this one, but the main storage area will be larger (8x12 or 14) and the exterior door will enter into the storage shed area, not the greenhouse area. I will put a wall between the greenhouse area and the shed area, insulated, and any walls and the ceiling in the greenhouse area will also be insulated. There will be an insulated door between the greenhouse area and the shed area.

I am thinking a 2 ft deep potting bench for plants to sit on, and a 3 ft space for moving around between the wall and bench. I will use this for seed starting beginning in March, with heat mats under some of the seed-starting trays. Would black water-filled containers of some sort stacked against the wall help enough to not need electric heaters at night?

I was planning on the upper half of two windows to have temperature-controlled vent openers on them. Will I need the side windows, and if I have them, should they also have temperature-controlled vent openings? Should I have an air vent opening low on the wall for when it gets really hot inside?

Will a little lean-to like this, about 12 or 14 feet long and 5 feet wide get so hot that by June that it is useless? Or will I be able to use it during the summer to start perennials for fall planting, too? I am trying to decide if this is an indulgence or not. I imagine I will be able to grow salad greens here until November or December. Am I right about that? If I am, it would be worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any discussion of this idea. I am disabled an unable to reach the ground anymore. I garden on the patio in containers and I miss doing my own seed starting.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor