SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_mccollum29

Need help for long run of leaning and bouncy open stairs

Hello! We are in construction phase and these stairs (10 feet between floors, 18 treads). It's got 3 LVL stringers, open on one side. We have cement floors on both floors and noticed the stairs began to lean toward the open side by 1/2 inch at the top and sag (have always bounced) after the cement was poured on the 2nd floor. Measured with a level, the lean starts at 1/4 inch at 3rd step, increasing to 1/2 inch at top step.

When bid, the framer bid a cost for conventional framed stairs despite the plans always calling for a long, open on one side run. Later, he identified a greater cost to have non-bouncy stairs so we paid an engineer to re-draw and add extra stability. Engineer specified 16"OC stringers. We paid the extra cost for both engineering and extra materials/install over the original bid. Now the stairs are still not solid and we're scratching our heads what to do. Contractor wants us to pay additional and incorporate a mid-span support integrated with a decorative screen wall we always had planned.

Here's my question to the community--Can you tell from photos if the framers installed it well? Does it make sense for us to pay more, after 2 initial bids didn't identify this long span as an issue? At what point can we count on our experts (contractor, framer and engineer) to fix the issue? How do we reliably fix both the lean and the sag? Drywall is going in now. We identified the issue 3 weeks ago and now are discussing fixes.

under stairs--3 LVL stringers with sistered 2x4s. Top right is the metal hangar that stringers are resting on. The gray at the top is a huge metal I-beam. I don't think it's used as direct stair support at this time.
Underside of top of stair.
bottom on stair, leading to basement.
Thanks for weighing in! Much more complicated than we thought and mulling it for 3 weeks hasn't brought much clarity.

Comments (4)