SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Landscaping around a bench

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm landscaping around a memorial bench for a young college-age woman who died suddenly from a heart condition. It's halfway up a wooded hillside. I have two memorial plantings that are going in, a small tree and three flowering shrubs. I want to do a little more to add to it. The area is clear but there are woods behind it. It's facing SW and gets mid day sun. I want to create a shady, colorful niche and I'm having trouble with the tree placement. The bench is six foot. One tree behind in the middle seems a little awkward, but so does one on each side. I could do the tree on one side and two of the bushes . . . I dunno.

I'm going to plant bleeding hearts and forget-me-nots around the bench but could use some suggestions for other plants signifying love and remembrance. She loved nature and plants.

Here's a photo, best one I have. The bench is going across from the faux boise railing and the euonymous burning bush has been all torn out, (the light red stuff) and is being replaced with three large fothergillas. Those are the three bushes. The tree is sassafrass. The area for the bench is clear and flat but sloped behind. I don't have a face-on photo. I just need generic bench vignette advice that includes a tree for shade.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022