SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

1st generation Monarchs appearing

Mary Leek
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

At least, I think they are appearing and not returning! Can't really tell if they might be some I've recently released or if they are coming up from the south. This is the third day in a row I've seen pristine Monarchs in the garden. I don't know if the eggs I've found the past two weeks were left by Mexico ladies or by 1st gen ladies as I never saw these Monarchs.

The one who visited today for several hours seemed to be very hungry. I never observed any egg laying, just flying from flower to flower, taking nectar. Bad storm is coming tonight. I hope she's found a safe place to ride it out.

My last three chrysalides (of 27) are out in the gh, protected in a rearing cage. I put two blooming milkweed plants in with them so if I can't release them tomorrow due to the storm, they'll have nectar. So far, all that have eclosed have been perfect. Still can't believe how much Monarch activity I've had this spring. I hope this means there will be good numbers for the fall migration.

The two oldest cats from the most recent group are forming their J's. So far, I think I've got 17 in this new group in various stages of growth.

The Tweedia
caerulea is blooming well and she spent a lot of time on it, which surprised me. It is one of the few plants I'm growing for me (I love the blue flowers) and never considered it might be a good nectar plant.

Mary

Comments (3)

Sponsored