SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orneryponystudio

Cutting up Sinningia tubers

After reading some articles by Dale Martens, I got bold and cut up my Sinningia Tubiflora that had gotten the stems knocked down after a storm (I grow it outside in full sun in warm weather).

After depotting I found lots of new sprouts going down into the pot instead of up and out of it! I may have I turned it wrong when I planted it but I found two clusters of growing tips from two different sides of the tuber!

I cut it in half leaving one cluster on each side. I then sealed the cuts with super glue so they should, hopefully, not need to dry but also not rot when replanted. This trick works well with succulents and apparently a lot of other plants, but I don't know if it will work here.

After repotting with the growing tips hanging out, I sealed it up into a 1 gallon ziplock bag and put it under lights. A couple of days later the exposed leads are already turning up towards the light and starting to green up. I should know within a few weeks if this experiment works or if I have sacrificed a Sinningia tubiflora!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!