SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaynann_gaoiran

Help!!! How to shade our deck with extreme weather!!

Jaynann Gaoiran
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm about to go crazy. I've spent far too many hours online trying to find a solution for shade on our deck.

Backround:

We are redoing our deck in Trex decking bc wood is too much maintence for our climate. It is a west facing deck. We are in northern Utah and we have very extreme weather. Our backyard backs up to the mountain. In the winter we get lots of snow and in the summer extreme heat. We also get very high winds. The main problem is that it's so exposed that the extreme weather causes problems.

Problem:

We need shade! We don't use the deck much in the winter but in the spring and fall it's the best part of our yard and home until it gets too hot...so blazing hot that it's useless. The worst heat is in the late afternoon when the low angle sun beats down on the deck and kitchen. So we need to block the sun from the sides as well! I just need advice if anyone has any!!! Thanks in andvance!

Some of the options:

A wooden pergola is beautiful but it will need too much maintenance in this climate.

I thought I solved it with a metal pergola if we could remove the fabric in the winter. But I keep reading reviews about Rust on metal pergolas. Anyone know of a metal pergola that has a warranty against rusting?

Maybe just some good umbrellas??

We don't have a large budget but with that being said, I'd rather pay more now for something that is durable and will last than a cheap option that will work for a few years.

Thank you for any ideas!!! And for helping me keep my sanity.

Comments (3)