SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cgrim10

10,000 questions about blueberries I asked the internet.

cgrim10
6 years ago

Fruitnut, you have drawn a longtime lurker from the shadows.
as not to confuse, a list of my current questions requiring info follows:
First a summary, normal soil ph 6.0, I used Espoma soil acidifier and plants have been @ 4.5 to 5.0 since planting/application. I use vinegar to lower pond water to 4.3 for watering, tds of 18. have sulphuric acid, but haven't had to produce large volumes of water yet, I am sure I will.
I'm in east texas 8b? south of Tyler.
I planted 2 ea of 4 varieties, premier, powderblue, austin, brightwell. 12-11-16. they were sticks in 2 quart pots. about 2'-0& 3'-0,
Each planted in 24" wide x 15" deep holes, replaced 100% dirt with peat moss, 3 bales for 8 plants, and 10 bags pine bark. about 3" to 4" higher than ground level for drainage in a raised bed. (I may raise them this winter another 4")
before spring I stripped all flower buds, there were hundreds.
Currently I give them only 21-0-0 AS (mine weighed 4.7- gram per tsp.) @ 1/4 tsp per gal each watering, (about 1+ quart currently every other day or 2) and have excellent growth 1'-0+ everywhere. I didn't lose a branch during my learning curve. Some new larger canes are coming from the crowns now.
my questions are:
a. is pruning a blueberry bush during this fast growth bad? For shaping purposes.
I understand I want to train it up and open to sun (I probably should have pruned it down low to keep all new growth up high, but will suffer the loss when they are pruned this winter.)
b. you indicated on a previous post you used Osmocote 19-6-6 slow release?
Where is this available? (I believe I am micronutrient deficient due to being just peat & pine bark in a hole) I want darker green leaves!!
c. the 2 austin from a different vendor don't appear as nice and green as the other 6 do,
they came with some form of Osmocote, but they couldn't remember the designation.
my soil ph @ 4.5 / 5, same pond water, but they are appearing chlorotic. I am satisfied w/soil & water ph, so I figure micronutrients are the culprit. I am on an iron ore hill.

Comment