SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantsean

Need help identifying this grass (weed?)

giantsean
7 years ago

Hi All,

First thanks for providing this forum.I have found a lot of really valuable info here over the years.

I am in Southern CT and have a 1/2 acre which got torn up pretty bad due to a lot of construction. As part of the deal the contractor partially topsoiled and seeded with what I originally thought was a mix of annual rye and bluegrass. I have also supplemented over the past 2-3 seasons with either blue or a typical perennial rye/blue/fescue mix (I like the Scott's basic w/o the water crap as you get more seed for the volume)

I had figured that the run of annual returning was WAY past but I am still getting a LOT of really heavy tall grass mostly in the areas they planted. It is growing much faster than the "good" grass, and I'd like to do something about it, I just have no idea what it is. Self-seeded annual, quackgrass, crabgrass, or something else. There is a ton of it in one spot which leads me to believe it was put there vs. grew itself, unless their topsoil was heavily contaminated (it looked ok).

Anyway, first step is to post some pics, so here they are (two different areas of the yard). Thanks for any ID help!

Comments (2)