SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adri16579

Trovita orange questions

adri16579
7 years ago

Hello there,

I've lurked for awhile, but this will be my first time posting. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to answer a few questions about my Trovita orange that has just arrived.

Here's a little background info:

I live in Minnesota and will be growing the tree in a container. During colder months/cooler days I plan on keeping the plant in my sunroom. During the summer, I'm hoping to have the tree outside, but this may be prevented depending on how temperamental the weather is. Minnesota tends to be very humid in the summer and I have struggled in the past with figuring out a soil that dries out fast enough. The tree is currently in the nursery container and is approximately one year old. The current container is about 9 inches tall and 4-6 inches across.

Here are my questions:

First, and most importantly, I'm trying to figure out a good soil mix for this muggy climate. I'd like something that gets fairly dry within a week or so, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Four winds has this mix on their website:

https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/store/growing-tools-a-accessories.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=417&category_id=2

Is this a good starting point? If so, does it need to be amended somehow? Otherwise, any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the container, would it be reasonable for me to plant it in a container that is 10 inches deep? Should I be worried about a particular width in relation to the height of the container? Or is it not that fussy? I was planning to use a terra-cotta pot, but would something else be better suited/more breathable?

My next question is about fertilizing. Is it best to hold off on fertilizing for awhile after planting the tree in its pot? (My instinct says yes...but an expert opinion would be great) I also am unsure about how often/how much fertilizer I should plan to use. Heck, type (brand) of fertilizer even escapes me! Are root tonics necessary/recommended?

If I sound clueless, that's because I kind of am. I'd like to give this plant the best chance possible of survival and appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!

Comments (26)