SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Most Fragrant Rose in your Garden??

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Strong fragrance is at the top of my list regarding selecting roses for my garden. Chances are, unless it stands out for some reason, like landscaping purposes, I will not buy roses that lack fragrance. This is the backstory. So, I expect all of my roses to have fragrance, but there are some that are purchased specifically due to their reported fragrance, and then pretty blooms. My first Spring flush is over. The usual suspects holding a great strong fragrance did not disappoint (M.I.P., Munstead Wood, etc. etc... What stopped me in my tracks was Grande Dame. This rose was purchased primarily for color, bloom, reported growth habits, and well it is also fragrant. That is an understatement!!

Which roses thus far have been most fragrant or surprisingly fragrant in your garden???

Comments (59)

• Ken Wilkinson
    7 years ago

I have a few that really hit the "WOW" factor in my garden. My top 4 are:

Zepherine Drouhn

Compte de Chambrod

Munstead Wood

The Prince

One's I can always depend on:

Lady of Shalott

Shelia's Perfume

Granada

Rosa Rugosa

Rosa Rugosa Alba

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    7 years ago

I'm with you, Lynn, I pick roses that have fragrance. Trying to at least. I have

Melody Perfumee,

Towering Rose Magic,

Nahema,

Golden Fairy Tale,

People's Princess,

Don Juan,

SDlM,

Super Bowl,

Dermalogica Passion...

They gave me enough of blooms this spring to say that yes, they are fragrant.

But the most surprising fragrance was from Maggie. It's a baby, I have it since October only, but it wants to bloom all the time already and the fragrance is wafting! I can't wait to have it all grown up! And now I just have to have Grand Dame :)

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
  • Related Discussions

What Is The Least Fragrant Of The Most Fragrant Roses?

Q

Comments (17)
    I get very little scent from Sombreuil (the large-flowered climber). Occasionally its scent wafts down the side yard where it's planted, but that's it. SDLM is only faintly fragrant to me, too. Blush Noisette is said to be one of the most fragrant, and I barely get anything from it. My allergies diminish my sense of smell, I know. Visitors come to the cemetery rose garden declaring that the scent bowls them over as soon as they get out of the car, and I barely notice it. I had a few days of sinus clarity this spring, and was astonished at the fragrance. The damask scent, fortunately, penetrates my congestion, as do musks and a few of the teas. Anita
    ...See More

most fragrant, high-blooming, (thorny ok) rose around veg garden

Q

Comments (4)
    Most English roses are very high blooming and much easier to grow than teas or floribundas. They are somewhat fragrant although some people might say very fragrant. I grow Golden Celebration (yellow), Evelyn (pinkish peach), Tess Durbervilles (cherry red) and William Shakespeare(Dark pinkish purple). All are large plants, heavy bloomers, large flower-size but only so-so repeating. Can be very fragrant at times, but I can smell only a little more often.
    ...See More

What are your most fragrant roses today? 2020

Q

Comments (154)
    Carol: The peachy rose in my bouquet is Summer Samba floribunda (fruity scent). Stehapnie: My own-root Golden Celebration smells like cupcakes from the oven, it makes my house smells like a cross between a florist shop and a bakery (YUM). One bloom perfumes the entire kitchen. Crimson glory (hybrid tea) smells good on the bush, but the scent is gone after 1 day in the vase. I prefer Firefighter's scent that lasts until petals drop. For quality of scent, I place Gruss an Teplitz's spicy scent over Firefighter. Gruss is drought tolerant & likes heat. It blooms best when the weather is over 90 F. Gruss grows wild in Pakistan's hot & dry and alkaline sandy soil (learned that from Khalid, who used to post in Organic rose forum). Gruss an Teplitz is the father of Dr.Huey-rootstock, but the blooms are much prettier with amazing spicy scent (almost as good as Barcelona): Below is Gruss an Teplitz, a 10th-year own root in my zone 5 garden:
    ...See More

Show and Tell your most fragrant modern roses

Q

Comments (93)
    Ah @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14), I have a 50 year old massive clump (tall as me) that I jump into to prune and such. In adding roses to the front, I'm going to divide it out in clumps and replant. It makes a nice 'privacy screen' or back of border. I'm betting the rose blooms will just pop in front of it too. That bird is the reason I went with a lot of orange/apricot, lite pink/mid pink, pale yellow/yellow and white. Zeph D. will be the darkest color. Those colors are in the Bird's bloom, even the yellow, and it's blooms are massive. I'm no designer, but that just seems like a good thing. (Picture is from Wilcox Nursery, Mine looks like this.) I've never transplanted a bird, but there are so many outer baby clumps, I figure I can just sheer off those to be my transplants and effectively 'move' the mama back about 2' by doing so. The mama is about 6' x 8' right now. Worth a shot I think.
    ...See More
  • kublakan
    7 years ago

Scent is very subjective and given different climates and temperature conditions, it can vary wildly. For my balmy climate, nothing is as awe inspiring as Fragrant Cloud. It is so intense that I've had to stop bringing it to the office because it gives a fellow employee a headache. Number two of three would go to Firefighter. The rose is very strongly scented, but what brings it to the forefront is the classic rose scent that it carries. I have purples are strong scented and carry well in the wind, but most smell sweet without having that scent that reminds me of rose soap or rose perfumes. Lastly, I would highlight Louis Phillip (The Cracker Rose). It grows like a week in my garden, and few roses ever do. Although I'm partial to those great big hybrid tea shaped roses, this is one of the few small flowered roses that I place in prominent spots in my garden. Once established, it's flushes pump out a scent so strong that neighbors across the lake from my house have noted it's scent during summer time flushes. Again, scent is very particular to the beholder, but these three carry the honor of being the best in my garden.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked kublakan
  • lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Haku, your beautiful Grande Dame is so violet! Does she look that way all of the time? My only negative for her here is her fuchsia color!

I try to buy everything that is on the most fragrant lists, even if the color doesn't suit because I'm so curious about their fragrance.

I'm not sure if my personal tops are on anybody's lists but they are:

Twice in a Blue Moon

Lemon Spice

Jude the Obscure

Sharifa Asma

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Grande Dame and Jude the Obscure. On the basis of her first bloom (so far) I believe Beverly will join them!

Oh! And let's not forget Savannah, perfumes the garden and lasts forever in a vase too.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked barbarag_happy
  • SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

One that has not been mentioned but has an incredible scent is Princess Charlene De Monaco. This new rose has impressed me with its intense citrus fragrance. It was talked about recently at the rose show. Grande Dame is exceptional in terms of fragrance. Fragrant Cloud is one of the best too when it comes to scent, but I gave up on it because of disease. Sonia Rykel, Chrysler Imperial, Sugar Moon and Evelyn top my list as well.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Oh and Beverly! Cant forget her. She's divine. I'm glad to hear Savannah has scent. Mine has only bloomed once. Lets see if next time she exhibits some scent.

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Savannah has been great here but she started out with hard, flat blooms of neon coral. This year she's just gorgeous with looser blooms, soft and ethereal color, long lasting, and fragrant. I think that Moses shovel-pruned her for the former behavior!

Barbarag and SoFL, how did your Savannah start out versus how she is now?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Oh papa!!!! Papa Meilland opened today! My first one. Add that to the list. Mmmmmmmmm.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I have a brand new Savannah from Palatine roses and it is just taking off like gangbusters I can't wait for those first blooms

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Savannah's foliage is excellent too Kristine and stayed green here all winter. Hope you like her!

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

I have several of these roses that everyone is raving about - but no fragrance yet here. Sometimes it takes a couple of years for fragrance to come in my garden. So Beverly, Firefighter, Grande Dame, Fragrant Cloud, Munstead Wood and Falstaff have no fragrance here. Maybe too cool?? And most of them are at least a couple of years old. I hope the fragrance sets in this year.

My most fragrant roses here are:

- Radox Bouquet (bare root last year and only bloomed once - but WOW!!

- Chandos Beauty!!

- Betty White

- The McCartney Rose

- Peter Mayle

- Perfume Delight

- Strawberry Hill

- Memorial Day

- Acapella

----------

Just have to say that there are some gorgeous photos here!!! Drool!!

Carol

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked rosecanadian
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

I have to post a photo of Falstaff. I know others have sometimes said this one didn't work for them, but in my hot and dry yard, Falstaff is seriously impressing me today. The intense fragrance just puts him over the top! More here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4591156/falstaff?n=16

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Oh that's intensely beautiful!!! I'm going to give mine a few more years. It was the first year in my garden last year. I don't think I even got a bloom. Thank you for showing your Falstaff!

Carol

• haku84_zone9
    7 years ago

lavenderlace: just poor lighting in my house when I took the picture of the bouquet. GD is fuchsia/hot pink in color. My only complaint is her long octopus canes i get.. I always forget to support her before she gets big.. so all the canes just bend over to the ground : /

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

Hands down, has to be Brother Cadfael. Scent will make you swoon!

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Vick's Caprice

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

I do like the strong lemony scent of Brother Cadfael. Alas his repeat is not the best... Still I am keeping him as he is nearly thornless and easy to handle.

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Strongest wafting scent would be Sombrieul which is the 2nd to bloom in my garden yesterday.

But in terms of fragrance quality I like best Jude, Boscobel and First Crush. I have Sharifa Asma and Alnwick coming this week and am excited to smell those blooms.

Most of my roses have fragrance even if it is very light. Eden and Alchymist (I can't remember if it has a fragrance) might be the exception. I will accept no scent if they are shade tolerant since I have some tough spots in my garden.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked totoro z7b Md
  • towandaaz
    7 years ago

This year so far it's been Nahema (two on the arbor/gate into the garden). I can't help but get a whiff of her with just a few first blooms as I pass thru the gate. And, Munstead Wood. Just the shear number of blooms on MW probably is why the fragrance drifts so beautifully and hits my nose when I'm working in the garden. Really nice.

Two runners up are Guy de Maupassant. I just love that strong apple fragrance. And lastly, Pink Peace is so fruity.

Lynn, I saw Grande Dame at the Portland International Test Garden and it towered over me. I was impressed even if I was intimidated. lol Is yours that big?

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked towandaaz
  • SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

My Savannah is still a baby. It was a one gallon pot and has been in the ground for about 9 months, and has been a rather slow grower for me. Especially for a Kordes. It is, however, very healthy. I have only had a couple of blooms from her and so far they have been very "cute" but I dont remember what she smelled like. I'm excited to hear she's so fragrant though as I wasn't even aware of fragrance. I bought it for her disease resistance.

• Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
    7 years ago

Not sue it's the most fragrant in my garden, but it *is* very fragrant and my favorite rose: Rosemary Harkness. Not sue it's available in the US? I got mine as a mistake. It was a cheap, packaged rose that was supposed to be 'Orange Marmalade'. Here's one pic. What a great rose this is!

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Jim F (Zone8/PNW)
  • rosecanadian
    7 years ago

mustbnuts - I love your PAoK!!! Wonderful!!

Jim - that's the prettiest orangish rose I've ever seen!! Wow!!

Carol

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Grande Dame is only about 4' - 5', Towandaaz. It completed its first full year in my garden three months ago. I hope it becomes tall... I think...

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    7 years ago

Cynthia. Rich, lasting, wafting. A truly fabulous rose. mo idea why it's not more popular. Healthy, easy to grow, tough & floriferous.

Huge blooms; the vase is on a salad plate, not a bread plate. The blooms were beat by 2 days of heavy rain & wind. Dark pink is Cynthia.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    7 years ago

Did anyone mention Pope John Paul ii--very fragrant! For me it is one of my best. Also, Memorial Day, Grand Dame, Twilight zone, Elle, and Munstead Wood.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked dizzylizzy 7b
  • rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Holly - love your Cynthia!! Mmmmmm :)

dizzylizzy - that makes me happy!! I've got Pope John Paul in a pot right now. :) It's a bareroot from Palantine...but it's in the garage waiting for nicer temperatures.

Carol

7 years ago

Totoro, please let me know if your Alnwick is fragrant. Everyone raves about the fragrance and I smell just about nothing on mine for the past three years. Finally, this year I got a small whiff of perhaps the famous raspberry fragrance everyone talks about but I think mine just might be a dud.

• kshaneje
    6 years ago

Sheila's Perfume.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked kshaneje
  • Sarah z8
    6 years ago

For me has been Sharifa Asma, Sugar Moon, Francis Meilland, and Neil Diamond.

All have wafting ability.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked Sarah z8
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Sarah, I keep hearing good things about Sugar Moon! Does her fragrance remind you of any other rose or is it possible to describe? Thank you!

• Sarah z8
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not off the top of my head. It's sweet, sugary a bit of classic rose and fruit. Not sickly sweet though, just strong. Its the only rose I've had more than one of, I like it that much. You can smell it from 5 feet away. It just begs you to come whiff it! The blooms start with a touch of cream in the center then turn pure white. It doesn't rain spot like most whites do. I hope that answers your question. My avatar is Sugar Moon with raindrops on it :)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Thank you and your avatar is gorgeous! Sold, can't wait to try her fragrance!

• Sarah z8
    6 years ago

Thank you! I think you'll love it! Let me know what you think if you try it! Oh I'm excited for you!!!

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I feel that way too if I find a rose to recommend to somebody and always hope that they like it as much as I do!

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Sarah, my avatar is Francis Meilland so that's a great pick also!

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Mustbnuts, I got my Alnwick from RU with buds and a bloom on it. I definitely smell the Raspberry fragrance that everyone talks about. But though it is pleasant even yummy, it is a rather one dimensional scent so I prefer Jude, Boscobel and First Crush to it.

Maybe when Alnwick is larger the fragrance will mature in complexity.

I also got Lady Emma Hamilton this spring. It is fragrant but perhaps too citrus or lemony to be one of my favorites. I like the warm tea fragrance or Lady of Shalott better.

Now I just have to wait for Sharifa to bloom...

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Neil Diamond has really surprised me as an extraordinarily fragrant rose. It's new this year for me, had 5 big buds of which 3 were knocked off in a hailstorm. The two remaining blooms were incredibly rich and powerfully fragrant....more so than any of my old standbys, including Mister Lincoln, Double Delight, Neptune, Melody Parfume, Jude the Obscure, Chrysler Imperial , Sutter's Gold, or Fragrant Cloud. I wondered if all those stripey petals provided camoflage for a liquid perfume center, lol. It's building up a nice second flush now, I eagerly waiting to see if they still smell that good.

I bought it mainly for the wild colors, thinking it would have a decent fragrance like Scentimental and Rock n Roll, above average but just short of the very best. Now I'm wondering if it's the most fragrant thing I've ever grown.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ben - really!!! Mine was new last year...barely bloomed...and there was zero fragrance. I was really disappointed with it. Now I'm really hoping this year for an expeprience like yours!! Your rose looks incredible!!! Sooooo beautiful!! And, wow, the scent sounds fabulous!!! Yay!!

Carol

6 years ago

Was out in the yard yesterday morning before work. Mary Magdalene is now blooming. Nice myrrh scent. Probably the second most scented rose next to my Brother Cadfael. I hated the scent of Ambridge Rose which had a very strong myrrh scent. I like Mary's scent. I think she is going to be a wonderful rose and am so glad she (after two years) is finally coming into her own a bit more. I think she will need another couple of years to mature (she is own root).

Mary may take a year or two longer as I am considering moving her next winter. I am not happy with Sister Elizabeth. Floppy thing that doesn't bloom very much. She needs to shape up or she is gone. Mary would move into her spot.

Still no scent on my Alnwick rose after three years. Finally am starting to get some decent blooms on him this year, however. Maybe it needs more cold than what I have to get him going.

Brother Cadfael is still my favorite for scent. Didn't get much in the way of open blooms on him this year due to weather being cold, hot, hot, hot and then cold again and now hot. Lots of flowers but they all balled. Even then, his scent is to die for.

• User
    6 years ago

CRESSIDA... Always Cressida!

Rebecca

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked User
  • Holly Webster(7bNC)
    6 years ago

Wow, Rebecca. Cressida is beautiful!

• User
    6 years ago

That she is, Holly! The fineset rose I have ever owned. I am working on finding someone to propagate her.

Rebecca

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    6 years ago

Contact Tom at Classy Roses. He can probably help you with propagation.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    6 years ago

Mine might be Benjamin Britten. His coloring is Knock-Out-esqe but his form and fragrance is not! Three years ago, he was just a tiny band.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Arlene - that's quite a large rose and so beautiful!! And it's fragrant!!!

Cressida has such an old fashioned look!! Wow!!! And it's fragrant!!! Oh my!!

Carol

• garden nut z9b
    6 years ago

Barbara's pasture, Irene ford, Elisabeths china, Grandmothers hat, madam anissette, Mary rose, golden celebration, angel face, and Julia child. Scentimental and duchesse de brabant have a decent fragrance also. I also have setzer noisette and have been told it has a strong musk/ floral scent but I'm not sure I can smell noisettes that well since It smells lightly to me . I also have copperopolis bar which was described as VERY fragrant, but it's a slow establishing rose that puts most of its energy into trying to bloom , so I haven't had many blooms to smell.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked garden nut z9b
  • arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    6 years ago

rosecanadian, It helps that BB is mostly blooming right at nose-height, and it's right along a walk-way that I use often, so its fragrance is conveniently positioned for enjoyment.

My Munstead Wood it also beautifully fragrant as several others have said here, but since mine is still small I have to stoop almost all the way to the ground to enjoy it.

garden nut, I have never been able to detect any smell from my Julia Child. Funny how noses and environments can differ so much!

Here is a small pavé of Munstead Wood I cut yesterday.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Arlene - what fabulous blooms!!!! I really want my pathetic MW to have blooms like that!!! Maybe this year! Well done with the fragrant walkway!!

Carol

• K S
    6 years ago

I am going to agree with several other posters above. My most fragrant are: Jude the Obscure, Gertrude Jekyll, and Abraham Darby.

Abraham Darby: amazing blooms, but a black-spot-ridden, awkward bush. Oh well.

Gertrude Jekyll is a much more attractive bush in my (no spray) garden.

These are both from this week. Jude is just getting ready to bloom right now.

Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country thanked K S